World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kv57

Article Id: WHEBN0002921394
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kv57  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Horemheb, Valley of the Kings, KV56, KV16, Edward R. Ayrton
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kv57

KV57
Burial site of Horemheb
Picture of the tomb of Horemheb and his sarcophaugus
KV57 is located in Egypt
KV57
KV57
Coordinates
Location East Valley of the Kings
Discovered 22 February 1908
Excavated by Edward R. Ayrton
← Previous
KV56
Next →
KV58

Tomb KV57, located in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt, was used for the burial of Horemheb, the last Pharaoh of the Eighteenth dynasty.

The tomb was located by Edward Ayrton in February 1908, who was working for Theodore Davis. Due to its location in the valley floor, the tomb was filled with debris that had been washed down in the occasional flash-flooding.

The tomb is markedly different from the other major Eighteenth dynasty royal tombs. It does away with the dog-legged construction, and has painted bas-reliefs, rather than simple painted walls. Passages from the Book of Gates appear for the first time. The decoration was not completed, even though the king ruled for twenty-eight years.

The sarcophagus of the king was constructed from carved, red quartzite, and was found with its lid broken. In it were contained bones and remains from several burials, none of them conclusively from Horemheb.

Isometric, plan and elevation images of KV57 taken from a 3d model

References

  • Davis, Theodore M. The Tombs of Harmhabi and Touatânkhamanou. London: Duckworth Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-7156-3072-5
  • Reeves, N & Wilkinson, R.H. The Complete Valley of the Kings, 1996, Thames and Hudson, London.
  • Siliotti, A. Guide to the Valley of the Kings and to the Theban Necropolises and Temples, 1996, A.A. Gaddis, Cairo.

External links

  • Theban Mapping Project: KV57 - Includes detailed maps of the tomb.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.