World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kallooppara

Article Id: WHEBN0020679110
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kallooppara  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Maramon Convention, Central Travancore, Vaipur, Thuruthicadu, T. S. John, Joseph M. Puthussery, George Thomas (politician)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kallooppara

Kallooppara
village
Kallooppara
Kallooppara
Location in Kerala, India

Coordinates: 9°24′54″N 76°38′08″E / 9.415025°N 76.635475°E / 9.415025; 76.635475Coordinates: 9°24′54″N 76°38′08″E / 9.415025°N 76.635475°E / 9.415025; 76.635475

Country  India
State Kerala
District Pathanamthitta
Population (2001)
 • Total 17,719
Languages
 • Official Malayalam, English
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)
PIN 6XXXXX
Vehicle registration KL-

Kallooppara is a village in Pathanamthitta district in the state of Kerala, India.

History of Kallooppara

The land of Kallooppara was previously known by the name of Perumbranadu, which was so called due to its massive storage of rocks and hence being known by the name of 'Perum Parra Nadu', in the previous days and gradually being known as Perumbranad, in the latter days as legend has it.

Kallooppara was once the part of Thiruvalla taluk and with the formation of the Pathanamthitta district in 1983, a new taluk was chipped up by the name of Mallapally taluk and Kallooppara became a part of it. This prosperous land of Kallooppara was once governed by the Royalties of the Thekkumkoor Dynasty and Edappally Thampurans (rulers), who always had a deep concern and love for their subjects, who in turn did feel the same. A land with no class demarcation and love and respect for all was a model that we can cherish and learn from even today.

The kalari and the fort in the footsteps of history

The old Vemolinad was separated into 'Vadakumkoor' and 'Thekkumkoor' in A.D.1100. Kottayam, Chenganacherry, Thiruvalla, Kanjirapally and some places of high range where included in Thekkumkoor kingdom.Kallooppara was under the control of the Thekkumkoor dynasty. It had Kalari (training center for material arts) at Kallooppara. The famous Kalari was known as Thekkumkoor fort which existed till recently. The Thekkumkoor army camped here and it was risky for the enemy to attack them. It is said that the King had many close friends in Kallooppara and its surroundings. The Old Nair lord Family at Koipuram in Eraviperoor was in close touch with the Kings. It was this Nair Lord family who had great influence on the king and inspired him to donate Kallooppara sub-division to Edappally dynasty.As the withdrawal of Thekkumkoor kings, Kallooppara came under the Edappally dynasty, which is also known as Elangalloor Swaroopam. The Edappally dynasty has the history of elevation of a temple priest to the royal position of a King. The founder of the Edappally dynasty was a priest of Thrikkakara temple according to the historical evidence and proverbs.

Tracing roots to Edappally

Kallooppara is known for its religious harmony between all the sects of god loving souls be he a Hindu, a Christian, or a Muslim. Master craftsmen belonging to the Viswakarma clan were brought to Kallooppara from Edappally, and hamlets of the then Thirukochi, now known as Kochi, for parting their craftsmanship in the construction of temples like Kallooppara Devi Kshethram, Thelliyoorkavu, Porittikavu and Kallooppara St Mary's Orthodox Church.

  • Kallooppara St Mary's Orthodox Church

In the earlier days the Christian believers of Kallooppara had to depend on the 'Niranam Church' for the holy mass, funeral ceremonies and other religious rites. The journey on Vallom (small boat) through the Manimala and Pampa rivers was tedious, tiresome and risky. The Edappally Kings were ruling at that time and they used to spend their time in the famous and explicably beautiful Elangalloor Maddom, rich in its architectural antiquity, that once existed on the north side of the river Manimala. A abode for the royal guests that was once well-equipped with a private pool called the 'Kullipura Mallika' equipped with granite rock paved steps carved with excellent craftsmanship to the Manimala river, can still be seen now in Angadikadavu of Puramattam panchayat. It is said that once while the ruling king of Edappally was having his rest in the Elangalloor Maddom, he happened to see a few number of people coming on a vallom (small boat) singing melodious hymns accompanied by prayers. The king immediately came down to the river bank to observe the sight more closely and found it to be a burial procession, with the body on the floating hearse covered with a white cloth. The procession that started from Manimala was going to Niranam Church for the funeral of the dead, since in those days Niranam Church was the only Christian church in central Travancore. This event moved the Kings heart and having realized the hardship of the Christian subjects, he virtually pointed a plot on the other side of the river, and gave sanction to bury the body and built a church there. But sadly there are no clear evidence for the origin and age of the church. It is commonly believed that the founding stone of the church was laid on Malayalam month Karkadakam 3rd of 515 (A.D.1339). The stone day of the church is being celebrated on that day.(For photographs and description cf.The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India, Vol.II, 1973, ed. George Menachery)It is also believed that the church has the same age as the origin of Edappally dynasty. The study of the archaeology department also reveals that church was constructed in the 2nd millennium. The sculpture and figure carved in wood also indicates the same. Some letters carved on the slab of holy place of the church also traces back to the origin of the church. Though the letters have faded out, they are believed to be of the earlier century.Chengaroor St.George Orthodox Church is the daughter church of kalloopoppara church.

  • Chengaroor St.George Orthodox Church:

Chengaroor St.George Orthodox Church is the other anicient Church In Kallooppara Panchayath. Chengaroor Pally (church) was built on 8th of Idavam, Kollavarsham 1055 and the foundation stone was laid by His Holiness Geevarghese Mar Gregorious (Parumala Thirumeni). The church is popularly known as the FIRST DAUGHTER OF PARUMALA THIRUMENI. It belongs to the Niranam Diocese of Malankara Orthodox Church. This Church is popularly known as " Chengaroor Valiya Pally". Church is famous for the powerful intercession of the patron saint, Chengaroor Pally Perunal which is an ancient gathering of the Families in Chengaroor and neighbour places. Chengaroor Church Convention is also one of the ancient Conventions in Kerala.

  • St. Thomas Marthoma Church, Kallooppara:

The St. Thomas Marthoma Church is the first Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church in Kallooppara. /articles/Malankara_Mar_Thoma_Syrian_Church The church was formed in Kollavarsham 1085 (A.D 1909) with 27 family members who moved out of the St Mary's Orthodox church due to their strong support to the church reformation movement. This church is situated in the 7th ward of Kallooppara Panchayath. For more details: http://kalloopparastthomasmarthomachurch.org/church_members.php

  • Bethel Marthoma Church Kallooppara:

The history of Mar Thoma Church is an essential part of the history of Christianity in general and that of St.Thomas Christian Community in particular. Bethel Mar Thoma Church, Kallooppara, is one of the Parishes of this great historic Church. Bethel Mar Thoma Church, Kallooppara was established in the year 1912 by forefathers of strong faith and spirit of renaissance. Ever since 1912, the church has been a luminous candle spreading the message of God's love for human.

  • History of Christian Families

The families who accepted the new faith From St. Thomas, Disciple (Apostle) of Christ between AD 52 and AD 72, were subjected to much hardship by others at that time and consequently they had to move towards South of Kerala by the end of the 2nd century. Though the Christians devotees of Kallooppara claim their roots to the first century, history dates their arrival and settlement at Kallooppara only from the 9th century onwards. Most of the families migrated from Christian centers like Kuravilangad, Vaikom, Kadambanad etc. Many members from these Christian families further migrated to different parts of Kerala, India, Far East, Middle East, Europe, Africa, Australia, Canada and America; and are valuable contributors in the field of education, science, medicine, engineering, information technology, business, agriculture, religion etc.

Important Information

As of 2001 India census, Kallooppara had a population of 17719 with 8386 males and 9333 females.

Eden Interiors is a full service interior design firm.

Railway Stations The closest Railway station : Thiruvalla (9 K.M.). Most of the Express trains stops here as it is the only station in Pathanamthitta District.

Airports Kochi International Airport, Nedumpaserry - 135 K.M. (via Alapuzha) Trivandrum International Airport - 130 K.M. Air India ticket booking office is at Ramanchira in Thiruvalla. Air India, Thiruvalla : 0469-2605619

Boat Service Boat Services by KSWTC is available from Changanacherry and Thiruvalla (Pulikeezhu) to Kuttanadu and Alapuzha.

Rest Houses & Lodging There are few good private Lodges available in Thiruvalla. Also there is a Govt. Rest House. There is a Cloak Room in Thiruvalla railway station.

Postal Facilities There is a Post Office in Kallooppara. Also, there are few small post offices in the panchayat. However, the General Post Office is in Thiruvalla Town.

Reference websites

History of Kallooppara

Kallooppara Valiya Pally

Bethel Marthoma Church

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.