World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Kururi Line

Kururi Line
Kururi Line E130 series DMUs
Overview
Locale Chiba Prefecture
Termini Kisarazu
Kazusa-Kameyama
Stations 14
Operation
Opened 1912
Operator(s) JR East
Depot(s) Kisarazu
Rolling stock KiHa E130 series
Technical
Line length 32.2 km (20.0 mi)
No. of tracks 1
Track gauge 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
Electrification None
Operating speed 65 km/h (40 mph)
Route map
Kururi Line train waiting for departure at Kazusa-Kameyama Station, 2009

The Kururi Line (久留里線 Kururi-sen) is a railway line in Chiba Prefecture, Japan, operated by the East Japan Railway Company (JR East). It connects Kisarazu Station in Kisarazu to Kazusa-Kameyama Station in Kimitsu. The railway route extends through three cities, Kimitsu, Kisarazu, and Sodegaura. It has no double-track section, and trains can pass at only two stations, Yokota Station and Kururi Station.

Contents

  • Stations 1
  • Rolling stock 2
    • Former rolling stock 2.1
  • History 3
  • References 4

Stations

Station Japanese Distance
(km)
Transfers Location
Kisarazu 木更津 0.0 Uchibō Line Kisarazu Chiba Prefecture
Gion 祇園 2.6
Kazusa-Kiyokawa 上総清川 4.2
Higashi-Kiyokawa 東清川 6.1
Yokota 横田 9.3 Sodegaura
Higashi-Yokota 東横田 10.8
Makuta 馬来田 13.9 Kisarazu
Shimogōri 下郡 15.2 Kimitsu
Obitsu 小櫃 18.2
Tawarada 俵田 20.0
Kururi 久留里 22.6
Hirayama 平山 25.7
Kazusa-Matsuoka 上総松丘 28.3
Kazusa-Kameyama 上総亀山 32.2

Rolling stock

Former rolling stock

  • KiHa 30 DMU
  • KiHa 37 DMU
  • KiHa 38 DMU

History

The Chiba Prefectural Government opened the 762 mm (2 ft 6 in) gauge section from Kisarazu to Kururi as a light railway on 28 December 1912.

In 1922, the Railway Construction Act was amended by the Diet, and a new rail line connecting Kisarazu Station to Ōhara Station on the Sotobō Line via Kururi and Ōtaki, to transect the Bōsō Peninsula, appeared on the list as compensation for the underdeveloped network of roads in the area at that time.

On 1 September 1923, the Kisarazu to Kururi Line was nationalised, and the line was named the Kururi Line under the Japanese Government Railways (JGR) system. On 20 August 1930, the track gauge was widened to 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in), and on 25 March 1936, the line was extended to Kazusa-Kameyama Station.

The private Kihara Line from Ōhara Station was extended to Kazusa-Nakano Station in 1934, and it was planned that the Kururi Line and the Kihara Line would be connected to form a single route across the Bōsō Peninsula (which would have been named the Kihara Line). However, due to World War II, the plan was abandoned, and Kururi Line was never to be extended into the most mountainous area of the peninsula. Services on the section from Kururi Station to Kazusa-Kameyama Station were suspended from 1944 to 1947.

New KiHa E130-100 series DMU trains are scheduled to be introduced from 1 December 2012, replacing the ageing KiHa 30/37/38 DMUs.[1]

References

This article incorporates material from the corresponding article in the Japanese WorldHeritage

  1. ^ a b 久留里線旧型気動車さよなら記念イベント [Old Kururi Line diesel train farewell event] (pdf). News release (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company Chiba Division. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2012. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.