World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

La Faloise

Article Id: WHEBN0015720807
Reproduction Date:

Title: La Faloise  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Arrondissement of Montdidier
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

La Faloise

La Faloise
La Faloise
La Faloise

Coordinates: 49°42′00″N 2°20′30″E / 49.7°N 2.3417°E / 49.7; 2.3417Coordinates: 49°42′00″N 2°20′30″E / 49.7°N 2.3417°E / 49.7; 2.3417

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Montdidier
Canton Ailly-sur-Noye
Intercommunality Val de Noye
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Jean-Claude Leclabart
Area
 • Land1 9.75 km2 (3.76 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 237
 • Population2 density 24/km2 (63/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80299 / 80250
Elevation 57–158 m (187–518 ft)
(avg. 84 m or 276 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

La Faloise is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.

Geography

La Faloise is situated on the D193 road, on the banks of the river Noye, some 15 miles (24 km) south of Amiens.

History

La Faloise grew around a 13th-century château, which was ransacked in 1358, then rebuilt early in the 15th century by the Burgundians. It was attacked by the English and taken in 1442. The chateau returned to the Burgundians under Charles le Téméraire, on return from his defeat at Beauvais. When he died in 1477, the towns of the Somme reverted to the French crown. La Faloise was then in the hands of the Montmorency family, seigneurs of Breteuil.

In the middle of the 15th century Louis I de Bourbon married Eléonore of Roye and became seigneur of La Faloise. By the end of the century, the village had experienced much upheaval, being taken by the Ligueurs, Royalists and then the Spanish. To complete the misfortune, the population was decimated by the plague in 1668.

The French Revolution saw La Faloise rebuilt and industrialised. It became famous for the fabrication of nails. This prosperity lasted until about 1850. The village was occupied by the Germans during the conflicts of the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, the First World War and the Second World War. The church was burnt down in 1940 and rebuilt after the war.

Population

Historical population of La Faloise
Year 1962196819751982199019992006
Population 335342305263242228237
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

See also

References

  • INSEE

External links

  • La Faloise on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.