World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0016054702
Reproduction Date:

Title: Monsures  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Arrondissement of Amiens, Farman F.60 Goliath
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Coordinates: 49°42′36″N 2°10′19″E / 49.71°N 2.1719°E / 49.71; 2.1719Coordinates: 49°42′36″N 2°10′19″E / 49.71°N 2.1719°E / 49.71; 2.1719

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Amiens
Canton Conty
Intercommunality Canton of Conty
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Francis Collonville
 • Land1 8.98 km2 (3.47 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 235
 • Population2 density 26/km2 (68/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80558 / 80160
Elevation 62–185 m (203–607 ft)
(avg. 66 m or 217 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Monsures is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.


Monsures is situated on the D210 and the D109 roads, some 16 miles (26 km) south of Amiens, in the southernmost point of the département, in the valley of the Selle river and surrounded by woods and forests. Junction 7 of the A16 autoroute is just 4 miles (6 km) away


Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
217 230 197 152 162 203 235
Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates


A fort existed here at the end of the 9th century. Originally known as ‘’Monsulae’’, in the 12th century, it belonged to the seigneurs of the nearby commune of Conty.

The BeauvaisAmiens railway line once passed through the commune. Used for freight and passengers from 1876 until 1939, but never reopened following World War II.

On 14 May 1923, a Farman F.60 Goliath of Air Union crashed at Monsures following structural failure of a wing in flight. All six people on board were killed.

Places of interest

  • The château-fort entrance and its 15th century towers, on the promontory at the west of the village.
  • Church of Saint Leger, bishop of Autun (b. 616- d.678). First documented in 1127. The present building dates form the end of the 15th century and is built of local stone. The tower underwent restoration in 1731 and the present bells were installed in 1821 and 1868.
  • The old sacristy. On the south side of the church and along with the nearby presbytery, built in the second half of the 19th century. Since December 1998, it has housed the Mairie.
  • The early 16th century chapel of ‘Notre-Dame du Bon Secours’ at Estocq, a hamlet of the commune. It originally belonged to the Thierry family, fiefs of Argenlieu - an old commune now occupied by Monsures and by Rogy, to the edge of the commune of Gouy-les-Groseillers. The stone quarried from the locality was used to build the old manor and the chapel at Estocq.
  • The chapel of ‘Notre-Dame des Victoires’ was built in 1858 by Charlemagne Boyeldieu, a descendant of General Louis-Léger Boyeldieu, who was born at Monsures in 1774. Since 2004, the chapel has housed the commune’s multi-media library.
  • The ‘Coulée verte’. A nature trail for hikers and riders, based on the route of the old railway, wends its way along the valley of the Selle river for about 20 miles, from Crèvecœur-le-Grand to Vers-sur-Selles.


  • Louis Léger Boyeldieu

See also



External links

  • Monsures commune website (French)
  • Le site de Stéphanie Collonvillé et Stéphane Lehodey, à Monsures (French)
  • Monsures on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.