World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

South Wingfield

Article Id: WHEBN0001904341
Reproduction Date:

Title: South Wingfield  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Wingfield railway station, Pentrich rising, Ralph de Cromwell, 3rd Baron Cromwell, List of places in Derbyshire, List of civil parishes in Derbyshire
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

South Wingfield

South Wingfield

South Wingfield church during the 2007 floods
South Wingfield is located in Derbyshire
South Wingfield
 South Wingfield shown within Derbyshire
OS grid reference
Civil parish South Wingfield
District Amber Valley
Shire county Derbyshire
Region East Midlands
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town ALFRETON
Postcode district DE55
Police Derbyshire
Fire Derbyshire
Ambulance East Midlands
EU Parliament East Midlands
List of places
UK
England
Derbyshire

South Wingfield is a village and civil parish in the Scarsdale Hundred of Derbyshire, England, and is now part of the Borough of Amber Valley.

An ex-mining village, it has a mixed community. Its most famous landmark is Wingfield Manor, a ruined manor house built around 1450 and now managed by English Heritage and only open to the public on one Saturday a month during the summer. It is situated about 2 miles (3.2 km) from Crich, and 6 miles (9.7 km) from Matlock. It sits astride one 'B' class road, the B5035, and the River Amber runs through the lower parts of the parish. The centre of the village is at the Market Place, where Manor Road, Church Lane, Inns Lane and the High Road meet. The village shop is on the Market Place, as is the Horse and Jockey public house (now closed). The Market Place has been recently renovated by the local authority with a flower bed and paved area.

Other notable places in the village are the parish church of All Saints, dating from the 13th century, the Methodist Chapel, a Baptist Chapel and a Gospel Hall. The three currently active pubs are the Blue Bell on Church Lane, the Old Yew Tree on Manor Road and South Wingfield Social Club on High Road. The village school was built in 1875 and is still thriving. The post office was on Inns Lane, but has recently closed. The parish of South Wingfield extends to cover the wider area covering the village of Oakerthorpe and the hamlets of Moorwood Moor, Wingfield Park and Uftonfields.

Some feel that the origin of the name of the village is derived from Sweinfeld (or similar spelling) from the ancient English for Swine Field. Alternatively, the name may derive from 'Wynn' field, a field of heather, i.e. a moor.

The so-called Pentrich Revolution of 1817 should perhaps be called the Wingfield Revolution as two of the three ringleaders came from South Wingfield (the other was from Sutton, so none of the main characters were from Pentrich). The event started from Hunt's barn to the west of South Wingfield, the weapons were hidden in a quarry in Wingfield Park, and the only death on the night occurred in Wingfield Park.

Entertainment

South Wingfield Social Club on High Road hosts regular Friday night live music events. Local live bands perform at the venue.

References

  1. ^ Domesday Book: A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 2003. ISBN 0-14-143994-7 p.744

See also


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.