World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Soviet Republic of Naissaar

 

Soviet Republic of Naissaar

Soviet Republic of Soldiers and Fortress-Builders of Naissaar
Naissaare Nõukogude Vabariik
Unrecognized state

1917–1918


Flag

The island of Naissaar close to the Estonian capital of Tallinn.
Capital Obernargen (Söderby)
Languages Russian, Swedish, Estonian
Government Soviet republic
Chairman¹ Stepan Petrichenko
Historical era World War I
 •  Established December 1917
 •  Disestablished 26 February 1918
Area
 •  1918 18.56 km² (7 sq mi)
Population
 •  1918 est. 300 
     Density 16.2 /km²  (41.9 /sq mi)
Currency "Kerensky ruble" (Keriniki)
¹ Chairman of the "Council of People's Commissars".

The Soviet Republic of Soldiers and Fortress-Builders of Naissaar was a revolutionary state that during the First World War controlled the Estonian island of Naissaar (Swedish: Nargö; German: Nargen) in 1917-1918 for a brief period after the October Revolution and prior to the Occupation of Estonia by the German Empire.

History

On November 5, 1917, the October Revolution spread from Estonia to Russia. 28 November (15 November) 1917 the Maapäev (Provincial Diet) refused to recognize the new Bolshevik rule and proclaimed itself the supreme legal authority in Estonia. At the time, the most important fortification system in the area, called Peter the Great's Naval Fortress, was located at the narrowest point of Gulf of Finland. It included heavy coastal artillery batteries in the area of Estonia's capital Tallinn (Reval) and the nearby island of Naissaar. At the time, anarchosyndicalist Stepan Petrichenko was transferred to Tallinn.

Battleship Petropavlovsk (later renamed as Marat).

In December 1917, the revolutionary sailors of the battleship Petropavlovsk took power on the small island of Naissaar and proclaimed an independent Soviet republic there. The Russian sailors, numbering about 80-90, formed the government. The Republic of Estonia formally declared independence on February 23, 1918, only to be forcibly occupied and annexed by the German Empire.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.