USS Jekyl (AG-135)

Career (USA)
Name: USS Jekyl
Namesake: An island off the coast of Georgia
Builder: Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, New York
Laid down: 1944
Completed: date unknown, as U.S. Army FS-282
Acquired: by the U.S. Navy, 22 February 1947, at Apra, Guam, Mariana Islands
Commissioned: 2 May 1947 as USS Jekyl (AG-135) at Guam
Decommissioned: 12 April 1950, at Seattle, Washington
Reclassified: AKL-6, 31 March 1949
Struck: date unknown
Fate: scrapped, 18 May 1960
General characteristics
Type: Camano-class cargo ship
Displacement: 520 tons
Length: 177'
Beam: 33'
Draft: 10'
Propulsion: two 500hp GM Cleveland Division 6-278A 6-cyl V6 diesel engines, twin screws
Speed: 12 knots
Complement: 26 officers and enlisted
Armament: not known

USS Jekyl (AG-135/AKL-6) was a Camano-class cargo ship constructed for the U.S. Army as USA FS-282 shortly before the end of World War II and later acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1947. She was configured as a transport and cargo ship and was assigned post-war to support various island outposts in the Pacific Ocean.

Built on Long Island, New York

Jekyl (AG-135) was built in 1944 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Long Island, New York, for the U.S. Army and served as USAT F8-282 until being transferred to the Navy at Guam 22 February 1947. She was converted to Navy use and commissioned at Guam 2 May 1947, Lt. F. E. Richards in command.

Post-war Pacific Ocean support

One of a group of small Army cargo ships transferred to the Navy for use among the Pacific Ocean islands, Jekyl carried ammunition, food, and supplies to various island bases and outposts.

She operated mainly from Kwajalein Atoll, and steamed through the Mariana Islands and the Caroline Islands to Pearl Harbor in support of occupation forces. The ship also transported officials of the civil governments and helped carry native products as America began to restore normal life to the ravaged Pacific.

On 31 March 1949 she was reclassified AKL-6.

Post-war decommissioning

The ship was relieved of her duties in December 1949 and arrived Pearl Harbor on the 15th. From there she steamed to Seattle, Washington, where she decommissioned 12 April 1950, and was placed in reserve at Astoria, Oregon. Jekyl was sold 18 May 1960 and scrapped.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - FS-282 - AG-135 / AKL-6 Jekyl


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.