World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Valverde de Llerena

Article Id: WHEBN0011608164
Reproduction Date:

Title: Valverde de Llerena  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of municipalities in Badajoz, Campiña Sur (Badajoz)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Valverde de Llerena

Valverde de Llerena, Spain

Seal
Valverde de Llerena, Spain
Valverde de Llerena, Spain
Location of Valverde de Llerena within Spain

Coordinates: 38°13′0″N 5°49′0″W / 38.21667°N 5.81667°W / 38.21667; -5.81667

Country Spain
Autonomous community Extremadura
Province Badajoz
Municipality Valverde de Llerena
Area
 • Total 41.2 km2 (15.9 sq mi)
Elevation 572 m (1,877 ft)
Population (2010)
 • Total 763
 • Density 17.14/km2 (44.4/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Website Ayuntamiento de Valverde de Llerena

Valverde de Llerena is a municipality in the province of Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain. It has a population of 763 and an area of 41 km².

Situation

It is situated in the vicinity of Ahillones toward Guadalcanal, close already to the edge of the Seville. It is a settlement in gentle slope on a hilly domain corresponding to the foothills of the Sierra Morena.

The city belongs to the commerce of Extremadura of Badajoz and the Judicial branch of Llerena.

History

The current name of the population is attributed to its founder, Don Rodrigo de Valverde. However, throughout history has been known by other names: at the end of the 15th century was the nickname of Valverde de la Reina. Also called "Azuaga Valverde", by relying on this municipality jurisdicional area.

Valverde de Llerena Foundation took place on the year 1240, by Don Rodrigo Valverde, Knight of the Order of Santiago, Commander of Valez, who in the middle of 13th century consolidated the occupation of the site by giving various privileges to those who settled there.

The new population went to the jurisdiction of the order of Santiago. In 1594, the population census of the provinces and parties of the Crown of Castile in 16th century was part of the Order of Santiago de Leon and had 232 pecheros neighbors.

It was in 1559 when acquired for consideration and the title of villa by mercy of King Philip. In 1586, it was segregated definitely santiagueños domains, to be sold to Mariana de Córdova, Marchioness of Villanueva del Río, passing more than returns to the extensive domains of the House of Alba.

In the fall of the oldern times, the town was in the municipal in northeastern Extremadura. It was integrated in the judicial district of Llerena from 1834.

Heritage

Catholic parish church under the invocation of La Purísima Concepción, in the Archdiocese of Mérida-Badajoz.

Coordinates: 38°12′50″N 5°49′30″W / 38.21389°N 5.82500°W / 38.21389; -5.82500

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.