World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Angariones

Article Id: WHEBN0019516073
Reproduction Date:

Title: Angariones  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lemnos, Nea Koutali
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Angariones

Angariones
Αγγαριώνες
Location
Angariones
Angariones
Coordinates 39°54′N 25°11′E / 39.900°N 25.183°E / 39.900; 25.183Coordinates: 39°54′N 25°11′E / 39.900°N 25.183°E / 39.900; 25.183

Government
Country: Greece
Administrative region: North Aegean
Regional unit: Lemnos
Municipality: Lemnos
Municipal unit: Nea Koutali
Population statistics (as of 2001)[1]
Village
 - Population: 136
Other
Time zone: EET/EEST (UTC+2/3)

Angariones (Greek: Αγγαριώνες, older form Αγκαρυώνες - Agkaryones) is a village in the Greek island of Lemnos, part of the municipal unit Nea Koutali. In 2001 its population was 138. It is situated in the western part of the island, 1.5 km north of Portianou, 2 km west of Nea Koutali, 4 km northeast of Kontias, 4 km west of the Lemnos Airport and 10 km east of Myrina.

Population

Year Population
1920 15
1935 45
1950 242
1960 202
1981 135
1991 153
2001 138

History

The village was first mentioned in 1396 in a codex of the Pantokratoros monastery as "Kariones". The German traveller Conze knew it as "Agrionis" in 1858. The strategic location of the village on a hill over the bay of Moudros made it very suitable as an observation point for the Byzantines. On the small hill "Paliokastro" there were watchtowers, used during the Orlov Revolt, that were known as the "Angariones Vigles". The name probably refers to "angaron pyr", the fire that the watchmen used to send signals.

Until the 20th century, Angariones has always been a very small village, with some farms and a small church of St. George. There were 25 families in 1862, it slowly rose to 28 in 1874. It was part of the community of Kontias. In 1928 it became an independent community with only 15 inhabitants, but the population grew with the arrival of refugees and landless people. It had 45 inhabitants in 1935. A water supply with a beautiful fountain was built, trees were planted and a school was opened. Cotton cultivation brought significant growth in the 1940s and 1950s, and the population reached its peak at 242 in 1951. It declined again due to emigration, and in 2001 its population was 138.

See also

  • List of settlements in the Lemnos regional unit

Sources

  • Tourptsoglou-Stefanidou Vasiliki, Travels and Geographical Texts From Lemnos Island (15th-20th Centuries) (Ταξιδιωτικά και γεωγραφικά κείμενα για τη νήσο Λήμνο (15ος-20ος αιώνας))
  • Belitsos, Theodoros, Lemnos and its villages by Th. Belitsos 1994.
  • Lemnos Province CD Rom (Cdrom Επαρχείου Λήμνου): Lovable Lemnos

External links

  • Angariones at the GTP Travel Pages

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.