World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Armenian Cathedral, Lviv

Article Id: WHEBN0026043079
Reproduction Date:

Title: Armenian Cathedral, Lviv  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lviv, Armenians in Ukraine
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Armenian Cathedral, Lviv

The Armenian Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary (Armenian: Հայկական տաճար, Ukrainian: Вірменський собор, Polish: Katedra ormiańska) in Lviv, Ukraine is located in the city's Old Town, north of the market square. Unitil 1945 it was the cathedral of the Armenian Catholic Archdiocese of Lviv, since 2000 it serves as a cathedral of the Eparchy of Ukraine of the Armenian Apostolic Church.



A small Armenian church was built in the years 1363–1370, founded by an Armenian merchant from Caffa and established as the mother church of an eparchy. It is said to have been modeled after the Cathedral of Ani in the ancient Armenian capital of Ani. In 1437 the cathedral was surrounded with an arcade gallery, today only the southern one is preserved and the northern has been rebuilt into a sacristy. After the church was damaged in a city fire in 1527 a new stone belfry was erected in 1571. In 1630 the main nave was extended, further rebuilt in 1723. Since 17th century the cathedral belonged to Armenian Catholic archdiocese of Lviv, as union with Roman Catholic Church was introduced by bishop Mikołaj (Nicolas) Torosowicz and his successor – archbishop Vartan Hunanyan. The Cathedral owes most of its present day look to a remodeling carried out in the years 1908-1927 by archbishop Józef (Joseph) Teodorowicz.


After WW II Lviv was taken away from Poland and was annexed by the Soviet Union. In 1945 the Soviets decided to annihilate the Armenian Catholic Archdiocese of Lviv, arrested its last administrator - rev. Dionizy Kajetanowicz (murdered in the Soviet gulag in 1954) and three other priests. Almost all the Polish Armenians were expelled to the west, to modern-day Poland. The Cathedral was closed and its building was used for storing plundered sacral art. Officially, the Armenian Catholic Archidiocese of Lviv still exists, but remains vacant since 1938.[1]

After the collapse of the Soviet Union a handful of Armenian Catholic families attempted to reestablish the parish. Also the Armenians who came to Lviv during the soviet times, belonging to the Armenian Apostolic Church, sought to acquire the cathedral.

Shortly before the visit of Pope John Paul II, the local Ukrainian authorities passed the Cathedral to the Armenian Apostolic Church under the condition both the Armenian Catholic and Armenian Apostolic communities could use it.[2] An Armenian Apostolic eparchy was established in Lviv in 1997.

On 18 May 2003 the Cathedral was re-consecrated by the Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II and three other Armenian Apostolic bishops. Among the guests were: speaker of the Armenian parliament Armen Khachatryan, former president of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk, president of the Union of Armenians in Ukraine, French singer of Armenian origin Charles Aznavour with his son, Armenian actor Armen Dzhigarkhanyan and Armenian Ambassador to Ukraine Hrachya Silvanyan. Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate was represented by bishop Augustin.[3] Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church was represented by rev. Mikhail Dymyd. In the name of the Ukrainian government the head of the Religions State Agency Victor Bondarenko was present. However, neither Polish Armenians - the former owners of the Cathedral, nor Armenian Catholic Church clergymen were invited.

Since 2009 the Cathedral is being in course of the renovation process fully financed by the Polish Ministry of Culture in cooperation with the Foundation of Culture and Heritage of Polish Armenians seated in Warsaw. The works are conducted jointly by the Polish and Ukrainian specialists.

Interior and surroudings

Just north of the Cathedral lays a small convent of Armenian Benedictines and to the south, adjoining the bell tower, the palace of the Armenian Archbishops, both built in the late 17th century.

The present day interior is largely the work of Jan Henryk Rosen and Józef Mehoffer. The cathedral hold two wonder working icons of St. Gregory the Illuminator and the Mother of God, brought in the 17th century from Yazlovets.

The oldest preserved part of the Cathedral, with Renaissance arcades The interior Belltower and bishops palace


See also

Coordinates: 49°50′36″N 24°1′51″E / 49.84333°N 24.03083°E / 49.84333; 24.03083

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.