World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Asenovgrad

Article Id: WHEBN0001474929
Reproduction Date:

Title: Asenovgrad  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Plovdiv Province, Asen Karaslavov, Borislav Karamatev, Chepelare River, FC Asenovets
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Asenovgrad

Asenovgrad
Асеновград
Centre
Centre
Coat of arms of Asenovgrad
Coat of arms
Asenovgrad is located in Bulgaria
Asenovgrad
Location of Asenovgrad
Coordinates:
Country Bulgaria
Province
(Oblast)
Plovdiv
Government
 • Mayor Emil Karaivanov
Area
 • City 78.012 km2 (30.121 sq mi)
Elevation 269 m (883 ft)
Population (Census February 2011)
 • City 54,778
 • Density 700/km2 (1,800/sq mi)
 • Urban 65,962
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal Code 4230
Area code(s) 0331
License plate PB
Website Official website

Asenovgrad (Bulgarian: Асеновград, until 1934 Stanimaka, Bulgarian: Станимака) is a town in central southern Bulgaria, part of Plovdiv Province. It is the largest town in Bulgaria that is not a province center.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Cultural and natural sights 2
    • Asen's Fortress 2.1
    • Paleontological museum 2.2
  • Culture 3
  • Twin towns — sister cities 4
  • Gallery 5
  • External links 6

History

Asenovgrad was founded by the Thracians as Stenímachos around 300–400 BC. In 72 BC the city was captured by the troops of the Roman Empire as part of the Roman expansion towards the Black Sea. After a long period of peace, the town was destroyed by the Goths in 251, but rebuilt later. In 395 the Roman Empire was divided into two parts and the city fell under Byzantine Empire control. Afterwards, the Slavic tribes flooded the region (until around 700 AD) and became the majority of the population.

During the wars between the Bulgarian Empire and the Byzantine Empire, the city became a major military stronghold for the Bulgarian rulers. Due to aggravation of the relationships with the Latin Empire, in 1230 Bulgarian Tsar Ivan Asen II strengthened the local fortress Stanimaka and for this reason the city was named after him in 1934 (literally city of Asen). After Bulgaria was conquered by the Ottoman Empire, Roma and Turks settled in Stanimaka, and nowadays make up 15% of the municipality of Asenovgrad's population, the rest 75% being ethnic Bulgarians and 10% – unknown and others.

The town was inhabited predominantly by Greeks up to the post-World War I population exchanges between Bulgarian and Greece. Bulgarians from various regions in Greece settled in Asenovgrad, while its Greek inhabitants went to Naousa and Kilkis in Macedonia. Naousa and Kilkis are currently sister towns of Asenovgrad.

Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization, spent his last years in Asenovgrad and died here in 1947.

Cultural and natural sights

The city is a destination for religious and cultural tourism. Its main attractions are the monasteries St. Petka (Bulgarian: Света Петка) and Arapov's monastery (Bulgarian: Араповски манастир) and St. Kirik (Bulgarian: Свети Кирик). Around the city there are 5 monasteries, 15 churches and 58 chapels (for which the city earned the nickname "The Little Jerusalem"), also there are historical, ethnographic and paleontological museums and 2 kilometers from the town is Asen's Fortress (Bulgarian: Асеновата крепост).

Outside of the town is the 40 Springs (Bulgarian: 40-те извора) hunting and fishing resort. The climate is very pleasant during the winter and cool in the summer, which made the city and its surroundings very attractive for tourism. The southeast portions of the city are noted for tourist destinations and their urban development, including Parakolovo (Bulgarian: Параколово) and the 40 Springs complex.

In the late twentieth century the town was known for one of the first Bulgarian discos, Jumbare (Bulgarian: Джумбаре), with 600 seats and a round dancing floor, it was completed in 1977 and was located in the Asenovec (Bulgarian: Асеновец) hotel complex, which is full recovering, but the disco no longer exists.

Asen's Fortress

Asen's Fortress (Bulgarian: Асеновата крепост) is located 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the town proper, in Rhodope mountains. The fortress has existed since the time of the Thracians, and during the Middle Ages was a main strategic point. The fortress is named after king Ivan Asen II. The church St Bogoroditsa Petrichka (Bulgarian: Света Богородица Петричка) is the only wholly preserved building in the complex. In 1991 after a full restoration of the church, it begin to function as an orthodox temple.

The fortress is among the top 100 National tourist sights of Bulgaria and it is open during the entire year to visitors. Thousands of people and tourist walk to the top daily to take photographs, to relax and to see the beautiful view.

Paleontological museum

The paleontological museum in the city is affiliated with the National Museum of Natural History in Bulgaria. It was founded in 1990 and has one of the largest paleontological collections in country. Among the exhibits there are saber-toothed tiger, tiger metailurus, deinotherium, bear – indarctos and others.

Culture

The southern part of the town is known for its distilleries. Asenovgrad's wines are appreciated all over the country.

The town is famous for its numerous shops for wedding dresses and many Bulgarians come here in order to prepare for their wedding ceremonies.

Due to its specific geographical location the denizens of the town enjoy a breeze called вечерник (literally "night wind").

Twin towns — sister cities

Gallery

External links

  • Asenovgrad – Regional information media
  • Asenovgrad – Municipality
  • Images from Asenovgrad
  • Asenovgrad – local business



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.