World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ba-64

Article Id: WHEBN0003461463
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ba-64  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: GAZ-67, World War II armoured cars, Scout car, Taganrog military museum, BTR-40
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ba-64

BA-64
BA-64
Type Armoured car
Place of origin  Soviet Union
Service history
In service 1942–1950s (USSR)
Used by various
Wars World War II, Korean War
Production history
Designer Vitaliy Grachev
Designed 1942
Manufacturer GAZ
Produced 1942–46
Number built 9110
Variants BA-64B, BA-64D, BA-64E, BA-64G, BA-64W
Specifications
Weight 2.36 tonnes
Length 3.66 m (12.0 ft)
Width 1.69 m (5 ft 6.5 in)
Height 1.90 m (6 ft 2.8 in)
Crew 2

Armor 4–15 mm
Main
armament
7.62 mm DT machine gun with 1260 rounds
Engine 4-cylinder liquid-cooled GAZ-MM
50 hp (37 kW)
Power/weight 22 hp/tonne
Suspension Wheeled, 4x4
Ground clearance 23.5 mm (0.9 in)
Operational
range
300–600 km
Speed 80 km/h

The BA-64 is a small, lightly armoured, four-wheeled Soviet scout car. It can carry a Degtyaryov machine gun or PTRD anti-tank rifles. Nicknamed Bobik (a popular dog name/nickname) by Red Army crews, the vehicle has been widely exported.

The total recorded number of BA-64s produced differs even in Russian sources. The most frequently-stated figures are 9,110 (3,901 BA-64 and 5,209 BA-64B) vehicles which were built in the GAZ automobile plant, although a memorial plaque near the pictured Nizhny Novgorod car states 9,063 cars. The Red Army representatives accepted only 8,174 BA-64s, including 3,390 with radio sets; the other vehicles were transferred to NKVD units and Soviet allies. BA-64 inspired other military vehicles such as SK-1

Production history

The BA-64 armoured car was a construction initiative of GAZ chief designer V. A. Grachev. Design work started on July 17, 1941. The designer's team also included F. A. Lependin (general layout), G. M. Wassermann (leading engineer), Yu. N. Sorochkin, B. T. Komarevskiy, V. F. Samoilov (armoured hull) and others. On April 10, 1942, Grachev was awarded the Third Grade Stalin Prize for creation of the BA-64 armoured car and GAZ-61 light utility vehicle.

The initial BA-64 model was based upon the GAZ-64 and fitted with sloped armour that had some similarities to the German Sd kfz 222 design. One captured Sd Kfz 222 was transferred to GAZ for examination and analysis on September 7, 1941. The first prototype was tested on January 9, 1942. The hull had many resemblances with sdkfz-234 basic shape, and it had an open roof, with a pintle-mounted 7.62mm DT machine gun. The vehicle was operated by a crew of two. The next day the BA-64 prototype was shown to Kliment Voroshilov. The official presentation was in the Kremlin on March 3, 1942. The State Defence Committee adopted the BA-64 for Red Army service on March 14, 1942. It was top-heavy and could easily overturn on rough terrain.

The improved BA-64B model was introduced in 1943, based on the GAZ-67B, with a wider wheelbase. This model also had a small machine-gun turret added. The mass production of BA-64Bs continued through the rest of the Second World War and ceased in 1946. The last 62 vehicles were completed in that year.

BA-64Bs were also used by Polish and Czech units, raised in Soviet Union. After the end of the war, some BA-64Bs were transferred to the police of the GDR. There were other post-war transfers of BA-64Bs to North Korea, China and Yugoslavia.

Variants

  • BA-64, initial open-topped production, based on GAZ-64
  • BA-64B, main production with turret, based on GAZ-67B
  • BASh-64, staff vehicle with a variety of armoured compartments
  • BA-64DShK (1944), armed with 12.7mm DShK heavy machine gun
  • BA-64D (desantniy, prototype only), personnel carrier for six men
  • BA-64ZhD (prototype only), two different railcar versions with flanged wheels, developed at GAZ and the Vyksunskiy Factory
  • BA-64SKh (prototype only), half-track with front skis for travel in snow, based on experimental GAZ-60

Combat history

BA-64B armoured car in Nizhniy Novgorod Kremlin, Russia.

The major drawback of the BA-64 was its light armament. However, BA-64s were successfully utilised in reconnaissance and liaison missions despite this disadvantage. One benefit was the high elevation angle of the DT machine gun in complement with high speed and good manoeuvrability, which allowed BA-64s to be used in urban combat with success against enemy infantry hiding on the upper floors of buildings. In addition, the high-angle traverse of the DT machine gun could be used to engage enemy aircraft, although the light firepower of BA-64s was not sufficient for the effective destruction of aerial targets.

Operators

References

External links

  • BA-64 at Russian BattleField site
  • BA-64 armored car at armchairgeneral.com
  • Russia's BA-64 Armored Cars at wwiivehicles.com
  • Oruzhiye pobedy: Bronevik BA-64 in Avtorevyu No. 8, 2005 (Russian language)—includes photos of a restored BA-64
  • BA-64 at Vasiliy Chobitok's ArmorSite (in Russian)
  • BA-64 Soviet Armoured Car ( Dresden, Germany) - Walk around photos
  • BA-64 Soviet Armoured Car ( Moscow, Russia) - Walk around photos


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.