World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Batignolles

Template:Blacklisted-links

Batignolles is a neighborhood of Paris, a part of the 17th arrondissement of the city. The neighborhood is bounded on the south by the Boulevard des Batignolles, on the east by the Avenue de Clichy, on the north by the Rue Cardinet, and on the west by the Rue de Rome.

History

Batignolles was an independent village outside Paris until 1860, when the emperor, Napoleon III, annexed it to the capital.

During the 19th century, Batignolles had an active cultural life, and it served as a base for the painter, Édouard Manet, and his friends, who became known as the "groupe des Batignolles". They painted many scenes of its café life.

Batignolles today

Batignolles is outside the center of Paris most visited by tourists, but attractions include the Batignolles Cemetery and the Square des Batignolles, a small park created in 1862.

These days Batignolles has a reputation for being a fashionable place to live.[1] Batignolles was supposed to be the Olympic village for the Paris Olympic Games in 2012, but Paris lost its bid to London. In its place, ancient SNCF rail fallows are redeveloped into a new 4.3-hectare district[2] centered around new Martin Luther King garden. In 2015, is it foreseen to build 3,400 habitations, 30,000 square meters of shops, 140,000 square meters of office buildings and many public facilities (school, nursery...). Moreover the Palais de Justice court, along with the Police judiciaire (Quai des Orfèvres), currently located in the Île de la Cité in central Paris, will move to the new Cité judiciaire de Paris in a new building north of the garden.

This neighbourhood has also given its name to Batignolles Cemetery, which is located in the nearby Épinettes district.

Metro stations

Batignolles is:

Located near the metro stationsLa FourcheRome or Brochant.
It is served by lines 2 and 13.

Notes

Coordinates: 48°53′15″N 2°19′15″E / 48.88750°N 2.32083°E / 48.88750; 2.32083

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.