World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bishopric of Sassina

Article Id: WHEBN0005705249
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bishopric of Sassina  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sarsina
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bishopric of Sassina

The Italian Catholic diocese of Sarsina was a Roman Catholic ecclesiastical territory in Emilia-Romagna, northern Italy, seated in Sarsina, in the province of Forlì, which existed until 1986. In that year it was united into the diocese of Cesena.[1]

History

In the tenth century the bishops obtained the temporal sovereignty of the city of Sarsina and the surrounding district. From 1327 till 1400 it was disputed by the Ordelaffi of Forlì, the popes, and the bishops.

The patron of the city is Saint Vicinius,[2] believed to have been bishop about the year 300.

Other bishops were:

  • Saint Rufinus (fifth century);
  • Benno (770), who erected the cathedral;
  • Saint Apollinaris (1158), monk;
  • Guido (1255), who defended the rights of his church and was killed for so doing;
  • Francesco Calboli (1327), who had to defend the city by force of arms against Francesco Ordelaffi;
  • Benedetto Mateucci Accorselli (1385), the last prince bishop;
  • Gianfilippo Negusanti (1398);
  • Raffaele degli Alessi (1524), a reformer;
  • Nicolo Branzi (1602), who was imprisoned in the Castle of Sant'Angelo but was liberated later.

In 1807 Napoleon suppressed the see, which, having been re-established in 1817, was in 1824 united to the diocese of Bertinoro; but in 1853 it was again re-established. The diocese was suffragan of the archdiocese of Ravenna.

References

Attribution
  • public domain: 

External links

  • article

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.