Blackfriars road railway station

Place Southwark
Opened by South Eastern Railway
Key dates Opened 1864
Closed 1868
Replaced by Waterloo East
London Transport portal

Blackfriars railway station was a station on Blackfriars Road in south London on the South Eastern Railway between Charing Cross and London Bridge stations. It is now sometimes known as Blackfriars Road station, to avoid confusion with the nearby Blackfriars station across the river. The former entrance under the railway bridge is still clearly marked.[1]

The station was opened in January 1864 and closed almost five years later in 1868, to be replaced by the station now called Waterloo East.[2] It is opposite the entrance to Southwark tube station.

In 2005 the bricked up former street level entrance was cleaned up and original wording was restored. At track level widening of the viaduct on its north side is the only indication of its site. In July 2009 planning permission was given for a cafe to be built over the entranceway to the station.[3]


External links

  • London's Abandoned Stations - Blackfriars Road

Coordinates: 51°30′15″N 0°06′15″W / 51.50417°N 0.10417°W / 51.50417; -0.10417

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.