World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Burkat Shudi

Article Id: WHEBN0011343141
Reproduction Date:

Title: Burkat Shudi  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Harpsichord, 1702, Fortepiano, Tschudi, Broadwood and Sons, John Broadwood, Thomas Waldo Story, Johannes Zumpe, Kirkman (harpsichord makers), History of the harpsichord
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Burkat Shudi

Burkat Shudi (variants: Burkhart, Burkhardt, Schudi, Tschudi, Tshudi) (13 March 1702 – 19 August 1773) was an English harpsichord maker of Swiss origin.

Biography

He was born in Schwanden in the Canton of Glarus, and arrived in England in 1718, where he started work as a joiner. He married Catherine Wild, whose parents came from the same town as him, in 1728. John Broadwood worked for him from 1761, and in 1769 became his partner after marrying his daughter Barbara. Johannes Zumpe also worked for him.

He retired in 1771, being succeeded by his son, who was also called Burkat (c.1738–1803), following whose death the firm was taken over entirely by Broadwood, who had by then become a piano maker. There are twenty-three harpsichords by Shudi and 27 by Shudi and Broadwood in existence today. Three harpsichords exist by his nephew Joshua, who worked for him unsatisfactorily for a while, and one signed 'Bernard Shudi', about whom nothing is known.

Shudi's harpsichords

His harpsichords drew on the Flemish tradition, dominated by Ruckers, whose harpsichords had become extremely prized in the 18th century; he himself owned and hired out two Ruckers harpsichords. The usual specifications for his single-manual harpsichords was 8' 8' or 8' 8' 4' and for his double-manual harpsichords 8' 8' 4' and lute stop. Most from c.1760 also had a buff stop, occasionally operated by a pedal.

He made a great many innovations in the harpsichord: from c.1765 he introduced the machine stop, a mechanism engaged by a handstop and operated by a foot pedal which gradually reduces the registration on each manual; from c.1765 he extended the range down to CC; from c.1769 he introduced the Venetian swell: a contraption nearly identical in mechanism and purpose to the expression pedal found on the organ, operated with a foot pedal and placed above the strings.[1] He used leather plectra in some registers; it is not known whether he ever built an instrument with a 16' stop, though none survives with one. He also made claviorgans (a joint harpsichord and organ) though none of those instruments remain.


Charles Burney preferred the tone of Shudi's harpsichords to Kirkman’s and his instruments were highly valued; his customers included Frederick the Great, Empress Maria Theresa, Joseph Haydn, Muzio Clementi, the Prince of Wales, Thomas Gainsborough, and George Frideric Handel. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart tried one of his harpsichords in 1765. His instruments were exported as far as Russia, Oporto and Naples (where one of his harpsichords was, according to Burney, regarded as a 'musical phenomenon').

It was Frank Hubbard's opinion that the harpsichords of Shudi and Kirkman represent 'the culmination of the harpsichord maker’s art [...] for sheer magnificence of tone, reedy trebles and sonorous basses, no other harpsichords ever matched them', though he was later put off building copies because so little significant music was written for them.

References

  • Donald Howard Boalch, Peter Williams, Charles Mould: 'Shudi [Schudi, Tschudi, Tshudi], Burkat [Burkhardt]', Grove Music Online ed. L. Macy (Accessed 21 May 2007), http://www.grovemusic.com/

Further reading

  • W Dale: Tschudi the Harpsichord Maker (London, 1913)
  • E Halfpenny: Shudi and the "Venetian Swell", Music & Letters XXVII (1946)
  • Raymond Russell: The Harpsichord and Clavichord (London, 1959)
  • Frank Hubbard: Three Centuries of Harpsichord Making (Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1965)
  • E M Ripin: Expressive Devices Applied to the Eighteenth-Century Harpsichord, Organ Yearbook (1970)
  • D Wainwright: Broadwood by Appointment: a History (London, 1982)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.