World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Burkau

Article Id: WHEBN0006534325
Reproduction Date:

Title: Burkau  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bautzen (district), Kingdom of Saxony, Milceni, Road church, Großröhrsdorf
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Burkau

Burkau
Coat of arms of Burkau
Coat of arms
Burkau   is located in Germany
Burkau
Burkau
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Saxony
Government
 • Mayor Hans-Jürgen Richter (FDP)
Area
 • Total 31.83 km2 (12.29 sq mi)
Population (2014-12-31)[1]
 • Total 2,683
 • Density 84/km2 (220/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 01906
Dialling codes 035953
Vehicle registration BZ
Website www.gemeinde-burkau.de

Burkau (Sorbian: Porchow) is a municipality in the east of Saxony, in the district of Bautzen in Germany.

Geography

Burkau is in the northern part of the Bautzen district in a region rich of woods in Upper Lusatia. It is about 6 km away - in northern direction - from the city of Bischofswerda and about 16 km - in western direction - from the main city of the district - Bautzen. The inner German motorway A4 between Dresden and Görlitz is near the community and got two direct connections with it. The source of the Klosterwasser/Klóšterska woda is located in territory of Burkau/Porchow. Nearby in the hills of the western Lusatia there is the source of the Schwarze Elster - one of the most important rivers of this region.

History

In 1164 the village of Burkau has been mentioned for the first time in document - other sources say it happened some hundred years later in 1312 - that is why the real age of it is still not known. The administrative community that exists today has been formed in 1994 when three formally independent communities decided to unify - those were "Burkau" (Porchow), "Uhyst am Taucher" (Horni Wujezd) and "Kleinhänchen" (Maly Wosyk) with all their smaller parts: "Auschkowitz" (Wuckecy), Großhänchen" (Wulki Wosyk), "Jiedlitz (Jedlica), "Neuhof" (Nowy Dwór), "Pannewitz" (Panecy) and "Taschendorf" (Ledzborecy).

Sights

The sights of the community are an old manor in Pannewitz, the stone-mill and the "Jiedlitzer Buchholzmühle" in Bocka and the church of Uhyst of

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.