World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cajica

Article Id: WHEBN0016562282
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cajica  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Newman School
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cajica

Cajicá

Seal
Nickname(s): "Fortaleza de Piedra"
("The Stone Fortress")

Location of the town and municipality of Cajicá in the department of Cundinamarca

Coordinates: 4°55′N 74°02′W / 4.917°N 74.033°W / 4.917; -74.033Coordinates: 4°55′N 74°02′W / 4.917°N 74.033°W / 4.917; -74.033

Country Colombia
Department Cundinamarca
Province Central Savanna Province
Foundation Pre-Columbian
Area
 • City 50.4 km2 (19.5 sq mi)
 • Urban 2.73 km2 (1.05 sq mi)
 • Metro 49.0 km2 (18.9 sq mi)
Elevation 2,558 m (8,392 ft)
Population (2010)
 • City 22,030
 • Urban 22,027
 • Metro 44,057
Website www.cajica-cundinamarca.gov.co

Cajicá is a municipality and town of Colombia in the department of Cundinamarca, 39 km (24 mi) north of the capital Bogotá. It is located in the province of Central Savannah, being the third most populous municipality in the province after Zipaquirá and Chía. It is bordered by the municipalities of Zipaquirá to the north, Sopó to the east, Chía to the south, and Tabio to the west. The town is located at an altitide of 2,558 metres (8,392 ft) and has an average temperature of 14 °C (57 °F).

Origins

The name of Cajicá derives from a corruption of the two words cercado (fortress) and jica (stone), giving rise to its nickname of "The Stone Fortress". The original native Indian settlement was on the road between Zipaquirá and Tabio roughly on the site known today as Las Manas. This was the site where the vanguard of the conquistador army of Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada first encountered the natives on March 23, 1537.

A description of Cajicá from 1593 lists a population of 776 native Indians. The date of the Spanish foundation of the town is considered to be March 5, 1598, when Juan de Hoyo began the construction of the first church of brick, under the orders of Judge Miguel de Ibarra. Both the original and successive churches were destroyed by earthquakes: the town's present church was begun towards the end of the 19th century and completed in 1930.

Some 75% of the land of the present day municipality is used for agriculture, but the town also derives a sizeable proportion of its income as a nearby country retreat for wealthy Bogotanos, including country villas and high-end restaurants.

External links

  • (Spanish) : FOTW: Flag and Coat of Arms of Cajica
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.