World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Carrickmines

Article Id: WHEBN0010734356
Reproduction Date:

Title: Carrickmines  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: County Dublin, Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown, List of Dublin postal districts, Foxrock, Cabinteely, John Gormley, Carrickmines Castle, Stepaside, Dublin, Liam T. Cosgrave, Leopardstown Racecourse
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Carrickmines

Carrickmines (Irish: Carraig Mhaighin, meaning "Plateau of rock") is a suburb of Dublin in Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown, Ireland. Traditionally a residential area. The area is now divided north/south by the M50 motorway and its associated Junction 15. To the north are the older residential areas near Foxrock and to the south, along the Glenamuck Road are new retail parks, office buildings, apartments and housing schemes. It is also present in James Joyce A portrait of an artist being described as an area dominated by fields.

The Carrickminders

During the construction of the M50 motorway Carrickmines gained national notoriety when anti-roads protesters calling themselves The Carrickminders set up camp in the area and delayed the completion of the M50 for 2 years with legal challenges being taken by Vincent Salafia. The objectors claimed that the underground remains of Carrickmines Castle, an Anglo-Norman fort built in the 12th Century on the edge of the Pale, was of great national importance. Today, much of the uncovered remains are preserved in tunnels and other structures scattered around the interchange. Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown County Council claimed the action greatly increased the cost of the project, which was eventually completed in August 2005.


Development

Junction 15 of the M50 now lies at the heart of Carrickmines since the motorway opened. The Park Carrickmines (2006) and developments on the Glenamuck Road have converted the recently semi-rural area into a suburban complex of shops, offices, apartment blocks and housing estates; though still interspersed with farmland.

Transport

Carrickmines railway station opened on 10 July 1854, but finally closed on 1 January 1959.[1] The LUAS Green Line extension opened in October 2010.

Luas Stop

Carrickmines

Preceding station Luas Following station
Racecourse, not open   Green Line   Brennanstown, not open

See also

  • List of towns and villages in Ireland

References

Coordinates: 53°15′N 6°10′W / 53.250°N 6.167°W / 53.250; -6.167

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.