World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth

Article Id: WHEBN0019113136
Reproduction Date:

Title: Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Church of England churches in Shropshire, Bridgnorth, Thomas Telford
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth

St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth
St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth
Denomination Church of England
Churchmanship Broad Church
Dedication St. Mary Magdalene
Parish Bridgnorth
Deanery Bridgnorth
Archdeaconry Ludlow
Diocese Hereford
Province Canterbury
Vicar(s) Rev Liz Angell
Rector Rev Simon Cawdell
Organist/Director of music Dr John Turnock
Organist(s) Oliver Clarke BA (Music)

The Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth, is a Parish Church in the Church of England.

Early history

The College of St. Mary Magdalen, Bridgnorth was founded as a royal free chapel, and its church was in the royal castle at Bridgnorth.

The nave, chancel and western tower were probably built c. 1238, and a north aisle was added, presumably after 1294, when a chantry service was founded in St. Mary's by Richard Dammas. As a Collegiate church it was originally intended as a private chapel for the castle, but by the later 15th century it was being used as a parish church.

The college of canons was dissolved in 1548.

The Deans of Bridgnorth

  • Alexander c. 1161
  • Simon c. 1196.
  • Hugh de Taunay 1214
  • Peter of Rivaulx 1223
  • Michael de Fienles 1262
  • Stephen of London 1265
  • Bonettus of St. Quentin 1268
  • Walter Langton 1290
  • Amadeus of Savoy 1298
  • William of Savoy 1300
  • Peter of Savoy 1301
  • Engelard of Warley 1308
  • Thomas of Eyton alias Knockin 1318
  • Thomas Talbot 1334
  • Thomas Keynes 1353
  • Robert Ive 1362
  • Thomas of Brantingham 1369
  • Roger of Otery 1370
  • Nicholas Slake 1387
  • Thomas of Tutbury 1391
  • Columba de Dunbar 1403
  • John Marshall 1410
  • Henry Sever ca. 1446
  • William Dudley 1471
  • Richard Martin 1476
  • William Chantry 1482
  • John Argentine 1485
  • Thomas Larke 1508
  • William Cooper 1515
  • Thomas Magnus 1517

The current building

The chancel

The church was designed by Thomas Telford and built by John Rhodes and Michael Head between 1792 and 1795.

The church is aligned north–south, rather than the more usual west–east. The tower stands 120 ft high, and it has a clock, eight bells and a copper-covered roof.


The church has a magnificent Father Willis organ, purchased from Clifton College,

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.