World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dülmen

Article Id: WHEBN0001443142
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dülmen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Anne Catherine Emmerich, Wiesmann, Coesfeld (district), Senden, North Rhine-Westphalia, Bundesautobahn 43
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dülmen

Dülmen
Town Hall and Market Square
Town Hall and Market Square
Coat of arms of Dülmen
Coat of arms
Dülmen  is located in Germany
Dülmen
Dülmen
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State North Rhine-Westphalia
Admin. region Münster
District Coesfeld
Government
 • Mayor Elisabeth Stremlau (SPD)
Area
 • Total 184.49 km2 (71.23 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 45,870
 • Density 250/km2 (640/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 48249
Dialling codes 02594 (some districts differ)
Vehicle registration COE
Website www.duelmen.de

Dülmen is a municipality in the district of Coesfeld, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.

Contents

  • Geography 1
    • Neighbouring municipalities 1.1
    • Divisions 1.2
  • History 2
  • International relations 3

Geography

Dülmen is situated in the south part of the Münsterland area, between the Lippe river to the south, the Baumberge hills to the north and the Ems river to the east. South of Dülmen the Ruhr area is located.

Neighbouring municipalities

Divisions

After the local government reforms of 1975 Dülmen consists of the 7 subdivisions Dülmen, Kirchspiel, Buldern, Hausdülmen, Hiddingsel, Merfeld and Rorup.

Merfeld was first mentioned in 890. It became a part of Dülmen in 1975. It is known for its herd of Dülmen Ponies. Rorup was first mentioned in 1050 and became a district of Dülmen in 1975.

History

The place was first mentioned as Dulmenni in 889, as a property of Werden Abbey. Dülmen received town privileges in 1311. It joined the Hanseatic League in 140. It was part of the Prince-Bishopric of Münster until it was mediatised in 1803. After a short period in the hands of the House of Croÿ, it was taken by the French in 1811. After the defeat of Napoleon, it became part of the Prussian Province of Westphalia. The Dülmen oil plant was a target of the Oil Campaign of World War II: 90% of the city was destroyed and the city was rebuilt after the war. In 1973, the population reached 20,000. In 1975, Rorup, Merfeld, Hiddingsel, Buldern, Hausdülmen and Kirchspiel Dülmen became part of Dülmen.

Saint John of Nepomuk chapel, Hiddingsel, Dülmen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Nonnenturm in Dülmen

International relations

Dülmen is twinned with:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.