World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Denis Island

Article Id: WHEBN0002585195
Reproduction Date:

Title: Denis Island  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Geography of Seychelles, Seychelles blue pigeon, Denis Island Airport, Seychelles, Whaling in Seychelles
Collection: Islands of Seychelles
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Denis Island

The entrance to the grounds of the Denis Island Resort, as viewed from the airstrip.

Denis Island is the second northeasternmost Island in the Seychelles. His owner is Denis Julián. It is 60 kilometres (37 mi) north of Mahé and lies at the northern edge of the Seychelles bank, along with the nearby Bird Island, which is the northernmost Seychelles island. The 1.31 km2 (0.51 sq mi) coral island was named after the French explorer Denis de Trobriand, who visited it in 1773. Denis Island is privately owned and has a short airstrip. It has a holiday resort with 25 guest chalets.

A lighthouse built in 1910 still stands on the northern edge of the island. There is also a chapel named Chapel St. Denis.

The island has an abundance of coconut palms, Takamaka and Casuarina trees. In 2004, 47 Seychelles Fody from Fregate Island and 58 Seychelles Warbler from Cousin Island were relocated to Denis as part of a Nature Seychelles conservation project.

The island has been designated a Cay, in the Seychelles Archipelago.

External links

  • IUCN Relocation Project
  • Denis Island Resort
  • Brief Guide to Denis Island
  • Google Maps


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.