World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Drimnagh

Article Id: WHEBN0002273809
Reproduction Date:

Title: Drimnagh  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Eamonn Coghlan, Inchicore, Colm Wilkinson, Drimnagh Castle Secondary School, Greenhills
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Drimnagh

Our Lady of Good Counsel National School, Drimnagh.

Drimnagh (Irish: Droimneach) is a suburb of Dublin, Ireland, situated on the Southside of the county between Walkinstown, Crumlin and Inchicore, bordering the Grand Canal to the north and east. Drimnagh is in postal district Dublin 12.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Early to Medieval 1.1
    • Modern history 1.2
  • Administration 2
  • Notable People 3
  • Places of interest 4
  • Sport 5
  • Education 6
  • External links 7

History

Early to Medieval

The site was demolished but the bowl is currently on view in the National Museum. The lands of Drimnagh were taken from the natives by Strongbow who gave them to the Barnwell family. The Barnwells had arrived in Ireland with Strongbow in 1167 and had settled in Berehaven in Munster. The natives of that province promptly attacked their home and killed off the family except a youth called Hugh de Barnwell. The youth was then given the lands of Drimnagh as compensation. The lands and castle were considered safe as they were far enough away from the Dublin mountains which held native strongholds.

Modern history

The first modern suburban housing was built in Drimnagh in the mid-1930s with the roads named after Irish mountains. The suburb consists of one area close to Drimnagh Castle/Lansdowne Valley, consisting of 3-bedroom private housing built by Associated Properties, and a Dublin Corporation area (the larger part) consisting of two bedroom 'Parlour Houses' bordering on the Grand Canal and Crumlin. Both areas meet at the Parish Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, in the centre of Drimnagh, built in 1943.

The Dublin Corporations Housing area was once considered part of an area known as North Crumlin, from its construction in the mid-1930s, up until the introduction of the postal code system during the mid-1970s.

Administration

In local government elections Drimnagh is part of the Ballyfermot-Drimnagh Ward. Since the last local elections in 2014, the local elected representatives on Dublin City Council are:

  • Paul Hand (Independent)
  • Daithí Doolan (Sinn Féin)
  • Bríd Smith (People Before Profit)
  • Greg Kelly (Sinn Féin)
  • Vincent Jackson (Independent)
  • Daithí de Róiste (Fianna Fáil)

Notable People

Places of interest

  • Drimnagh is home to Drimnagh Castle, famous for being the only castle in Ireland which still has a moat encircling it, and is Dublin's only authentic medieval castle. The castle dates back to the 12th century and was built by the Barnwells.
  • Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin is, in fact, entirely located within Drimnagh.
  • Mourne Road Church is located at the centre of Drimnagh.

Sport

Education

  • Drimnagh Castle C.B.S. is a primary and secondary school for boys which was built in 1954 right next to the site of the castle. Over the past fifty years it has had many famous students such as the politician Charlie O'Connor, and footballers Kevin Moran, Niall Quinn, Dean Delaney and Graham Barrett. Radio presenters Rick O'Shea (Paul Crossan, 2Fm), Andy Preston (Ian Moore, Fm104), and Chris Murray (Anthony Hanlon, Lmfm) have graced its corridors.
  • St. John Bosco Youth Centre
  • Our Lady of Good Counsel School situated on Mourne Road.

External links

  • Drimnagh is Good
  • Drimnagh Birdwatch


|- style="text-align: center;" | rowspan="1" style="border-left: 0px none; border-right: 1px #aaa solid; border-top: 1px #aaa solid; border-bottom:0px none;"| Goldenbridge | style="background:#FF0000; border-left: 0px none; border-right: 0px none; border-top:1px #aaa solid; border-bottom:0px none;" |   | rowspan="1" style="text-align: center; border-left: 1px #aaa solid; border-right: 1px #aaa solid; border-top:solid 1px #aaa; border-bottom:0px none;" | Red Line | style="background:#FF0000; border-left: 0px none; border-right: 0px none; border-top:1px #aaa solid; border-bottom:0px none;" |   | rowspan="1" style="border-left: 1px #aaa solid; border-right: 0px none; border-top: 1px #aaa solid; border-bottom:0px none;"|Blackhorse |}

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.