El reno high school

El Reno High School
Established 1911 (1911)
Principal Matt Goucher
Asst. Principal Perry Owens
Faculty 45
Students 800
Grades 10-12
Location 405 S. Choctaw,
El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
District El Reno Public Schools
Colors navy blue and white
Athletics El Reno Indians
Mascot Indians
Website

http://www.elreno.k12.ok.us

El Reno High School
El Reno High School
Coordinates

35°31′50″N 97°57′18″W / 35.53056°N 97.95500°W / 35.53056; -97.95500Coordinates: 35°31′50″N 97°57′18″W / 35.53056°N 97.95500°W / 35.53056; -97.95500

Architect Layton, Solomon and Smith, S. Wemyss
Architectural style Late Gothic Revival
NRHP Reference # 00000179[1]
Added to NRHP March 30, 2000

El Reno High School is the only high school in El Reno, Oklahoma.

Architectural history

El Reno High School, located at 407 South Choctaw, is a 2 12-story horizontally massed, detached building (two stories over raised basement). Measuring 175 feet east-west and 132 feet north-south, the building is oriented in an east-west direction, with the main (1911) entrance facing west on South Choctaw. The school is located in a mixed-use area, with residential areas to the west and southwest, and commercial areas to the north and east.

The building was constructed in two phases. The west half, or El Reno High School proper, constructed in 1911, was designed by the Oklahoma City firm of Layton and Smith, Oklahoma's premier architects and designers of the Oklahoma State Capitol as well as many public schools. The east half, originally built for junior high school classes, was designed by an unknown architect and was constructed in 1925-1926.

In style, the El Reno High School building incorporates many of the elements of Late Gothic Revival as applied to public buildings, also known as Collegiate Gothic.[2] The major features of this building include: flat roof with raised, shaped, and/or castellated parapet; towers with long, narrow "princess" windows; pinnacles rising from parapets or towers; and polychrome surfaces, or contrasting brick and stone work, with stone work forming copings, window and door hoods, arches, horizontal bands or water tables, and quoins. In general the two defining characteristics of the building were the decorative stonework and, before alteration, the windows. Bedford Indiana Limestone creates hood moldings that accentuate the openings and bands that emphasize the horizontal massing.

Athletics

Notable achievements

  • Basketball State Champions in 1921, 1924, 1926, 1932, 1933, 1946, 1949, and 1953. Runners up in 1920, 1930, 1935, 1936, 1959, and 1998
  • Golf State Champions in 1987 and runners up in 1997
  • Baseball State Champions in 1967, 1991 and 1992
  • Wrestling Dual State Champions from 1996 to 2005 and State Champions from 1996 to 2010. Dual State runners up in 1995
  • Runners up in Oklahoma State Football Championship in 1956, 1957, 1967, 1981, 1999 and 2004-2010

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.