World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Engelszell Abbey

Article Id: WHEBN0017482577
Reproduction Date:

Title: Engelszell Abbey  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Wilhering Abbey, Quadrupel
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Engelszell Abbey

Engelszell Abbey (German: Stift Engelszell) is a Trappist monastery, the only one in Austria.[1] It is located near Engelhartszell an der Donau in the Innviertel in Upper Austria.

History

Cistercians

The abbey was founded in 1293 by Bernhard of Prambach, Bishop of Passau, as a Cistercian monastery. It was settled in 1295 by monks from Wilhering Abbey, its mother house, and was of the filiation of Morimond Abbey. It suffered a considerable decline, both spiritual and financial, in the period of the Protestant Reformation, and for a time passed into private ownership. From 1618 onwards the intervention and support of Wilhering Abbey gradually restored it.

On Easter Sunday 1699, a disastrous fire plunged the abbey once again into financial difficulties and from 1720 its management was in the hands of administrators. In 1746, Leopold Reichl, the last and greatest of Engelszell's abbots of the Common Observance, was appointed, and soon rebuilt its finances. Between 1754 and 1764, Leopold rebuilt the present-day abbey church.

In 1786, Engelszell was dissolved by Emperor Joseph II and the buildings were subsequently put to several secular uses, including as a factory and as a residence.

Trappists

In 1925, Engelszell was occupied and re-founded as a Trappist monastery by refugee German monks expelled after World War I from Oelenberg Abbey in Alsace. These monks had found temporary shelter in Banz Abbey but were looking for a permanent home. Initially established as a priory, in 1931 it was elevated to the rank of an abbey, and the former prior, Gregorius Eisvogel, appointed abbot, in which office he was dedicated by Johannes Maria Gföllner, Bishop of Linz, at a ceremony in Wilhering Abbey.

On 2 December 1939, the abbey was confiscated by the Gestapo and the community, numbering 73, evicted. Four monks were sent to Dachau Concentration Camp, while others were imprisoned elsewhere or drafted into the Wehrmacht. At the end of the war in 1945, only about a third of the previous community returned. They were augmented, however, by the refugee German Trappists expelled from Mariastern Abbey, Banja Luka, Bosnia, under their abbot Bonaventura Diamant.

Since 1995, the abbot has been Marianus Hauseder. As at 2012, the number of monks in the community was 7.

Buildings

Engelszell Abbey church, built between 1754 and 1764, is an impressive church in the Rococo style, with a tower 76 metres high. The interior contains notable works of art works by Bartolomeo Altomonte, Joseph Deutschmann and the stuccoist Johann Georg Üblhör. After structural damage in about 1957 the ceiling of the nave was repainted with a contemporary work by Fritz Fröhlich.

Gallery

Economy

The monastery lives mostly from its agricultural produce. It has become known both for its liqueurs and for its cheese, Engelszeller Trappistenkäse.

In May 2012, the International Trappist Association approved Engelszell to be the 8th producer of Trappist beer, and only the second outside of Belgium.[2]

List of superiors

  • Gregorius Eisvogel, 1925–31, prior; 1931–50, abbot
  • Basile Sartorio, 1950–51, interim superior
  • Bonaventura Diamant, 1951–52, superior ad nutum
  • Benno Stumpf, 1952–53, superior ad nutum; 1953–66, abbot
  • Willibald Knoll, 1966–83, abbot
  • Klaus Jansen, 1982–83, apostolic administrator; 1983–89, abbot
  • Nivard Volkmer, 1989–91, superior ad nutum
  • Marianus Hauseder, 1991–95, superior ad nutum; from 1995, abbot

References

Further reading

  • Engelszell Abbey (ed. and publ.), 1932: Abtei Engelszell an der Donau. Passau: Gogeißl. (German)
  • Natschläger, Walter, 2006: Übersichtliche Geschichte des Cistercienserstiftes Engelszell. Engelhartszell. (German)
  • Reisacher, Mathias, 1840: Topographie des Erzherzogthums Oesterreich, oder Darstellung der Entstehung der Städte, Märkte, Dörfer. Das Decanat St. Johann im Mühl-Kreis, sammt den Stiften Wilhering und Engelszell in dem Decanate Peyerbach. Vienna: Wimmer. (German)

External links

  • (German)
  • Orden-Online.de: Stift Engelszell (German)

Coordinates: 48°29′56″N 13°44′02″E / 48.499°N 13.734°E / 48.499; 13.734

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.