Espinosa de cerrato

Espinosa de Cerrato, Spain
Country Spain
Autonomous community Castile and León
Province Palencia
Municipality Espinosa de Cerrato
Area
 • Total 45 km2 (17 sq mi)
Population (2004)
 • Total 225
 • Density 5.0/km2 (13/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)

Espinosa de Cerrato is a municipality located in the province of Palencia, Castile and León, Spain. According to the 2004 census (INE), the municipality has a population of 225 inhabitants.

Demography

1900 1910 1920 1930 1940 1950 1960 1970 1981 1991
862 891 952 991 1.036 1.020 922 520 395 312

History

Espinosa de Cerrato in medieval times was a village dedicated to breeding major cattle. It was donated by Alfonso VIII to Pedro Martínez Ihobas, as a recognition for his services in the military. Pedro Martinez Ihobas in turn gave it to the Abbey of San Miguel de Treviño in 1170.

This village, nicknamed of Riofranco, was sold to Palenzuela in 1323. By 1352 it belonged to Merindad del Cerrato under the jurisdiction of Palenzuela.

In the middle of the 14th century, Espinosa was the queen´s property. In 1752, a lawsuit between the Duchess of Alba and Count of Benavente was submitted claiming the ownership of the village.

In 1785, it was an abbatial village and so it continues until the 19th century. In those times, it had the Saint Martin church and the Saint Roque and Saint Lucia hermitages and belonged ecclesiastically to the Diocese of Burgos. It was in 1955 that became a part of the Diocese of Palencia.

Still in the 18th century, as a town, it counted six hermitages that covered the religious needs of the growing community.

External links

  • Espinosa de Cerrato

Coordinates: 41°58′N 3°57′W / 41.967°N 3.950°W / 41.967; -3.950

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.