Fort Shaw

Fort Shaw, in Montana was built in 1867, located on the Medicine River, twenty-four miles west of Great Falls. It was first named Camp Reynolds then changed to honor Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, a Civil War soldier. It was established to protect early settlers and travelers on the Mullan Road from raiding Blackfeet. John Gibbon rode out from Fort Shaw in 1876 with the 7th Infantry Regiment with orders to join Alfred Terry and George Armstrong Custer in the Great Sioux War of 1876–77 and in 1877 to attack the Nez Perce in the Battle of the Big Hole.

Fort Shaw was one of the larger posts, and had one building that was 125 feet long where many theatrical functions were held, including the first professional stage performance in Montana. The theater had a floor of hard-packed earth, log benches with no backs for the seats were moved out for dances.

Fort Shaw was abandoned by the army in 1890 but later served as an Indian school. The name Fort Shaw was revived when it became the name of a station and later a small town on the Vaughn-Augusta branch line of the Great Northern Railroad and some distance from the fort remnants.[1] Today there are some buildings from the old days of the fort and one serves as a historical museum that's only open during the summer. www.fortshaw.com

References

Coordinates: 47°30′32″N 111°49′12″W / 47.50889°N 111.82000°W / 47.50889; -111.82000

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.