Gradacac

Gradačac
Градачац
Municipality and town

Coat of arms

Location of Gradačac within Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Gradačac
Gradačac
Location of Gradačac

Coordinates: 44°53′N 18°26′E / 44.883°N 18.433°E / 44.883; 18.433

Country  Bosnia and Herzegovina
Government
 • Municipality president Fadil Imširović (SDA)
Population (1991 census)
 • Total 56,378
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Area code(s) +387 35
Website gradacac.ba/

Gradačac (Cyrillic: Градачац) is a town and municipality in the northeastern part of Bosnia and Herzegovina, located roughly 40 km (25 mi) south of the Sava river. Administratively, Gradačac is part of the Tuzla Canton of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The towns of Bosanski Šamac and Modriča lie near Gradačac.

Settlements

AvramovinaBiberovo PoljeBlaževacCetnicaDonja MeđiđaDonja TramošnicaDonje KrečaneDonje LedeniceDonji LukavacDonji SkugrićGornja MeđiđaGornja TramošnicaGornje KrečaneGornje LedeniceGornji Lukavac • Gradačac • Hrgovi DonjiJasenicaJelovče SeloKerepKrčevljaniMionicaNjivakOrlovo PoljePelagićevoPorebriceRajskaSamarevacSibovacSrnice DonjeSrnice GornjeTolisaTurićVidaVučkovciZelinja DonjaZelinja Gornja i Zelinja Srednja.

Demographics

1971

48,384 total

1991

In the census of 1991, the municipality of Gradačac had 56,378 residents of which there were:

  • 60.2% Bosniaks
  • 19.8% Serbs
  • 15.1% Croats
  • 4.9% others

History

The župa of Gradačac was first mentioned in 1302, while the town's first written mention dates from 1465 (also as Gračac). The town became part of the Ottoman Empire in 1512, its nahija (municipality) was first recorded in the defter of 1533, while its kadiluk (county) was recorded in 1634.

In 1701 the settlement was given the status of a palanka (city), and it became the headquarters of a military captaincy in 1710. The captains of the Gradaščević family led the development of the city, and the most famous of them, Husein-kapetan Gradaščević or Zmaj od Bosne ("Dragon of Bosnia"), led an uprising that raised to arms most of the Bosnian captains in 1831.

The town has a fort with 18-meter high walls built between 1765 and 1821, and a 22-meter high watchtower, built in 1824 by Husein-kapetan Gradaščević on foundations made originally by the Romans. Husejnija Mosque was built in 1826.

It was severely bombed during the Bosnian war 1992–1995. It is located at the narrow northern corridor that connects two major portions of the Bosnian Serb entity Republika Srpska, near Brčko. Gradačac became part of the Tuzla Canton in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina after the war.

Thermal springs

The first spa facility, Ilidža Spa Treatment Centre was built on the thermal springs in Gradačac in 1882. The water temperature is 29.30˚C. In the area nearby are also two lakes Hazna and Vidara.

Economy

The most important industries in Gradačac are textile, chemical, mechanical and food processing. Gradačac is the place where the traditional international fair for plums is held.

Education

In the municipality there are 2 high schools, 7 elementary and 14 regional schools.

Sport

Notable people

See also

Picture gallery

External links

  • Official Site
  • gradacac.net
  • Gradačački Info Portal