World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hans-Christoph Seebohm

Article Id: WHEBN0004526046
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hans-Christoph Seebohm  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Konrad Adenauer, Ludwig Erhard, Erich Mende, Willy Brandt, German Party (1947)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hans-Christoph Seebohm

Hans-Christoph Seebohm
Vice-Chancellor of Germany
In office
8 November 1966 – 1 December 1966
Chancellor Ludwig Erhard
Preceded by Erich Mende
Succeeded by Willy Brandt
Federal Minister of Transport
In office
20 September 1949 – 30 November 1966
Chancellor Konrad Adenauer (1949-1963)
Ludwig Erhard (1963-1966)
Preceded by none
Succeeded by Georg Leber
Personal details
Born (1903-08-04)4 August 1903
Emanuelssegen, Province of Silesia, Kingdom of Prussia, German Empire
(today Murcki district, part of Katowice, Poland)
Died 17 September 1967(1967-09-17) (aged 64)
Bonn, West Germany
Nationality German
Political party DP
CDU (from 1960)
Alma mater Technical College of Berlin
Occupation Mining director, industrial manager, politician
Religion Protestant [1]

Hans-Christoph Seebohm (4 August 1903 – 17 September 1967) was a German politician of the national conservative German Party (Deutsche Partei, DP) and after 1960 the Christian Democratic Union (CDU).[1] He was Federal Minister of Transport for a record 17 years and briefly Vice-Chancellor of Germany. Widely respected in his job he was very controversial for his far-right political stance.

Life

Seebohm attended school in Dresden, Saxony and studied mining at the universities of Munich and Berlin-Charlottenburg. Passing the Staatsexamen in 1928, he worked as a junior civil servant at Halle and obtained a doctorate level degree from the Technical College of Berlin in 1932. He became a mining director at Silesian Gleiwitz and Bytom and upon the German occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1938/39 supervised the "Aryanization" of the mines at Královské Poříčí (Königswerth).

After World War II, he joined the regionalist Lower Saxon State Party in the British occupation zone under Heinrich Hellwege, which in 1947 was renamed German Party (DP). Seebohm became president of the chamber of commerce at Braunschweig and was a member of the Landtag state assembly of Lower Saxony from 1946 until 1951. From 1946 until 1948 he held the office of Minister for Reconstruction, Labour and Health in Hinrich Wilhelm Kopf's Lower Saxon state government. In the run-up to the first federal election of 1949, he and his party fellows Hellwege and von Merkatz negotiated a national conservative alliance with the Deutsche Rechtspartei and Hessian National Democrats, which however were aborted by the British occupation forces. In 1952, Seebohm was elected DP chairman, but refused to assume office.

From 1949 until his death he was a member of the Hans-Dietrich Genscher's 23 years (with an interruption in 1982) but as of 2011 still the record for uninterrupted service.

From 1959 Seebohm acted as spokesperson of the eastern territories lost after World War I according to the resolutions of the Treaty of Versailles, while at the same time even demanding restoration of the 1938 Munich Agreement.[2]

Seebohm died a few months after his retirement and is buried in the Bad Pyrmont cemetery.

References

  1. ^ Der Spiegel (German)
  2. ^ Guilt, suffering, and memory: Germany remembers its dead of World War II, page 204, Gilad Margalit, Indiana University Press 2009
Preceded by
Erich Mende
Vice Chancellor of Germany
28 October – 30 November 1966
Succeeded by
Willy Brandt
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.