World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ickleford

Article Id: WHEBN0001062464
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ickleford  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of Hertfordshire boundary changes, Hitchin, Icknield Way Path, Henry Bessemer, Great Ashby
Collection: Civil Parishes in Hertfordshire, Hitchin, Villages in Hertfordshire
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ickleford

Ickleford

St Katharine, Ickleford
Ickleford is located in Hertfordshire
Ickleford
Ickleford
 Ickleford shown within Hertfordshire
Population 1,848 
OS grid reference
District North Hertfordshire
Shire county Hertfordshire
Region East
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town HITCHIN
Postcode district SG5
Dialling code 01462
Police Hertfordshire
Fire Hertfordshire
Ambulance East of England
EU Parliament East of England
UK Parliament Hitchin and Harpenden
List of places
UK
England
Hertfordshire

Ickleford is a large village situated on the northern outskirts of Hitchin in North Hertfordshire in England. It lies on the west bank of the River Hiz and to the east of the main A600 road. It was partly in Bedfordshire until the Bedfordshire portion of the civil parish was transferred to Hertfordshire by the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844.

Contents

  • Etymology 1
  • Notable buildings 2
  • Transport 3
  • Facilities 4
  • External links 5

Etymology

Its name is derived from it being a ford, that is a way to cross a river, along the Icknield Way. Thus Ick + Ford. Another village, Ickford, shares the same etymology.

Notable buildings

St Katharine's church, set amid cedar trees, has a 12th-century Norman nave and blocked north doorway with beautifully carved zigzag arches, and a south aisle and chapel added by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1859. The east window has some fine stained glass of 1860. It is the burial-place of Henry Boswell, "King of the Gypsies", who died in 1760, at the advanced age of 90; the remains of his wife and granddaughter are likewise interred here.

Transport

The Icknield Way Path passes through the village on its 110 mile journey from Ivinghoe Beacon in Buckinghamshire to Knettishall Heath in Suffolk. The Icknield Way Trail, a multi-user route for walkers, horse riders and off-road cyclists also passes through the village. The Bedford to Hitchin Line used to pass through the village, remnants of which can still be seen in places such as Gerry's Hole where parts of the old bridge and embankment are still present. The local Parish Council attempted to raise public awareness of the village through its lavish Parish Plan in 2006-07.

Facilities

Ickleford has a primary school (Ickleford Primary School), village hall, general store and a unisex hairdresser

There are three public houses: The Plume of Feathers, The Old George and The Cricketers.

The large Sports and Recreation ground also contains a playground and a licensed bar. The Sports and Recreation Ground caters for several sports, including cricket, football, squash and pétanque, and is home to the Ickleford Cricket Club, whose symbol represents two crossed farmers pitchforks. The club was founded in 1947 and in 2006 won promotion to Division 3 of the Saracens Herts League, and was promoted to Division 2 in 2010. Since 2006, the cricket club's first team has used the nickname "The Tigers". There is also an equestrian centre with a Pony Club . Outside the Recreation Ground towards the school there is a newly built cemetery.

Ickleford also has a Scout troop (the 1st Ickleford (9th Hitchin)) with active groups for Beavers, Cubs and Scouts, and Brownies for girls.

External links

  • Ickleford Cricket Club
  • Ickleford Parish Council
  • Ickleford Primary School


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.