World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

John Langdon (bishop)

Article Id: WHEBN0013101932
Reproduction Date:

Title: John Langdon (bishop)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: John Kemp, John Langdon, Thomas Brunce, Bishop of Rochester
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

John Langdon (bishop)

For other uses, see John Langdon (disambiguation).
John Langdon
Bishop of Rochester
Church Catholic
See Diocese of Rochester
In office 1421–1434
Predecessor John Kemp
Successor Thomas Brunce
Personal details
Died 30 September 1434

John Langdon (died 30 September 1434) was a medieval Bishop of Rochester.

Langdon was admitted a monk of Christ Church, Canterbury, in 1398. Afterwards he studied at Oxford, and is said to have belonged to Gloucester Hall. He was one of twelve Oxford scholars appointed at the suggestion of convocation in 1411 to inquire into the doctrines of Wycliffe. On 17 November 1421 he was appointed by papal provision to the see of Rochester, and was consecrated on 7 June 1422[1] at Canterbury by Archbishop Chicheley. After his consecration he appears among the royal councillors, and after 1430 his name constantly occurs among those present at the meetings. In February 1432 he was engaged on an embassy to Charles VII of France. On 18 February 1434 he had license to absent himself from the council if sent on a mission by the pope or cardinals, and on 3 November of that year was appointed to treat for the reformation of the church and peace with France. Langdon had, however, died at Basle on 30 September.[1]

It is commonly alleged that Langdon's body was brought home for burial at the Charterhouse, Loudon, but in reality he was interred in the choir of the Carthusian monastery at Basle.

Notes

References

public domain: 

Catholic Church titles
Preceded by
John Kemp
Bishop of Rochester
1421–1434
Succeeded by
Thomas Brunce
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.