Kefalovryso (Ioannina), Greece

Kefalovryso (Greek: Κεφαλόβρυσο, Aromanian: Migidei, Migideia, before 1927: Μετζητιές - Metzities[1]) is a town of about 1,100 in the northern part of the Ioannina regional unit. It was the seat of the municipality of Ano Pogoni. It is situated at the foot of mount Nemertsika, near the Albanian border. It is 3 km west of Vasiliko, 12 km northeast of Delvinaki, 16 km west of Konitsa, 36 km east of Gjirokastër (Albania) and 46 km northwest of Ioannina. Most of the inhabitants are Aromanians, speaking the Aromanian language along with Greek. In Kefalovryso, one can find a primary school, a lyceum, a minor soccer team, a gymnasium, a church, a small post-office and a square in the centre with the town hall of Ano Pogoni.

Historical population

Year Population
1981 1,062
1991 1,122
2001 1,040

History

The Greek newspaper Pigi Kefalovrysou mentioned in an article that in 1840 this village was founded by a lone tselingas (Greek for goatherd) named Nastas (Greek: ο τσέλιγκας Νάστας). Kefalovryso passed from the Ottoman Empire to Greece in 1913, during the Balkan Wars.

See also

External links

  • Kefalovryso private website
  • http://web.archive.org/web/20021226231048/http://www.geocities.com/athens/ithaca/1473/
  • Kefalovriso (Greek)

References

Template:Ano Pogoni

Coordinates: 40°00′50″N 20°33′50″E / 40.01389°N 20.56389°E / 40.01389; 20.56389

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.