World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ladispoli

Article Id: WHEBN0003025681
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ladispoli  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Province of Rome, Carciofi alla romana, Coastal towns in Lazio, Laura Antonelli, Palo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ladispoli

Ladispoli is a town and comune in the province of Rome, Lazio, central Italy. Lies about 35 kilometres (22 mi) west of center of Rome on the Mediterranean Sea.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Demography 3
    • Ethnic minorities and foreign 3.1
  • Twin cities 4
  • External links 5
  • Citations 6

History

Ladispoli occupies the area existed the ancient Alsium, the port of the Etruscan city of Cerveteri and later a Roman colony cited by Cicero.

Alsium was destroyed in the 6th century AD, during the Gothic War, by the Ostrogoths led by Totila. Later a castle, named Palo, was built in the area: it was a fief of the Orsini and, from 1693, of the Odescalchi family.

Modern Ladispoli was founded in 1888 by Ladislao Odescalchi, whom its name stems from.

In the late 1970s and until the early 1990s, parts of Ladispoli served as refugee camps for Soviet emigrants seeking political and/or religious asylum in Western countries (mostly United States, Canada and Australia). The experience of Jews from the former USSR staying in Ladispoli in the 1980s was first described in English by Maxim D. Shrayer in his literary memoir "Waiting for America" (2007).[1]

Main sights

Demography

Ethnic minorities and foreign

According to ISTAT figures at 31 December 2010 foreign nationals were 7711 people. The nationalities most represented according to their percentage of the total population were:

  • from Romania - 4620 (11.26%)
  • from Poland - 826 (2.01%)

Twin cities

External links

  • Official Site (Italian) (English) (French) (Spanish) (German)
  • Airport Transfers from and to Rome

Citations

  1. ^ [1],



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.