World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lavietes Pavilion

Article Id: WHEBN0003456492
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lavietes Pavilion  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Harvard Crimson men's basketball, Harvard University, Leede Arena, 1982–83 Stanford Cardinal men's basketball team, Charles River Speedway
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Lavietes Pavilion

Ray Lavietes Basketball Pavilion at the Briggs Athletic Center
Hall of Dreams
Former names Briggs Athletic Center
Location Soldiers Field Rd
Allston, MA 02163
Owner Harvard University
Operator Harvard University
Capacity 2,195
Opened 1926 (original)
1982 (basketball)
Harvard Crimson

The Ray Lavietes Basketball Pavilion at the Briggs Athletic Center is a 2,195-seat multi-purpose arena in the Allston neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. Owned by Harvard University, it is the second-oldest college basketball arena still in use (Fordham University's Rose Hill Gym (1924) is older.)

Originally known as the Briggs Athletic Center, it was originally named for LeBaron Russell Briggs, dean of Harvard College 1891-02 and the school's athletic director for 17 years. Briggs also served as president of the NCAA. It included an indoor track and batting cages, which were popular with local collegiate and professional baseball players, including Ted Williams. In 1981, the Gordon Indoor Track and Tennis Facility (located adjacent to Harvard Stadium and the Bright Hockey Center) opened, and the building was refurbished as the new home to the Harvard basketball program, replacing the Malkin Athletic Center in Cambridge. The women's first game in the building was on November 26, 1982 against Chicago, and the men's was a day later against neighbor and rival MIT. In March 1996, the building was rededicated to Ray Lavietes '36, a two-time basketball letterman who made a $2.1 million contribution to a second refurbishing project in 1995 and 1996.

The Ray Lavietes Basketball Pavilion at the Briggs Athletic Center

External links

  • Lavietes Pavilion at

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.