World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lock and Dam No. 14

Article Id: WHEBN0007444803
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lock and Dam No. 14  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Quad Cities, Dams in Illinois, List of locks and dams of the Upper Mississippi River, Walnut Grove Pioneer Village, Quad City Downs
Collection: Buildings and Structures in Rock Island County, Illinois, Buildings and Structures in Scott County, Iowa, Dams Completed in 1939, Dams in Illinois, Dams in Iowa, Dams on the Mississippi River, Dams on the National Register of Historic Places in Illinois, Dams on the National Register of Historic Places in Iowa, Gravity Dams, Historic Districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Iowa, Locks on the National Register of Historic Places, Mississippi River Locks, Mississippi Valley Division, Moderne Architecture in Illinois, Moderne Architecture in Iowa, National Register of Historic Places in Scott County, Iowa, Roller Dams, Transport Infrastructure Completed in 1939, Transportation in Rock Island County, Illinois, Transportation in Scott County, Iowa
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Lock and Dam No. 14

Lock and Dam No. 14 on the Mississippi River. View is from the Iowa side looking across the river to Illinois.
Location Hampton, Rock Island County, Illinois / LeClaire Township, Scott County, Iowa,
near LeClaire, Iowa, USA
Construction began 1921 (6 ft project)
Opening date May 13, 1938 (9 ft project)
Operator(s) United States Army Corps of Engineers
Dam and spillways
Impounds Upper Mississippi River
Length 2,700 feet (823.0 m)
Creates Pool 14
Total capacity 82,000 acre·ft (0.101 km3)
Catchment area 88,400 sq mi (229,000 km2)
Lock and Dam No. 14 Historic District
Location 25549 182nd St., Pleasant Valley, Iowa
Area 304.3 acres (123.1 ha)
Built 1939
Architectural style Moderne, Other, Lock and Dam
Governing body Federal
MPS Upper Mississippi River 9-Foot Navigation Project MPS
NRHP Reference # 04000174[1]
Added to NRHP March 10, 2004

Lock and Dam No. 14 is a lock and dam located near LeClaire, Iowa on the Upper Mississippi River above Davenport, Iowa and Moline, Illinois. The movable portion of the dam is 1,343 feet (409.3 m) long and consists of 13 tainter gates and 4 roller gates. Connected to it is a 1,127 feet (343.5 m) long non-submersible rock fill dike which extends to the Illinois side. The main lock is 110 feet (33.5 m) wide by 600 feet (182.9 m) long.[2] The site on the National Register of Historic Places as the Lock and Dam No. 14 Historic District (#04000174) listed in 2004 consisting of 3,043 acres (12.3 km2), 1 building, 6 structures, and 2 objects. It was completed in two phases, the first as part of the six foot channel project from 1921 to 1924, which included a lock and canal bypassing a hazardous rapids. The second phase was part of the nine foot channel project from 1935 to 1939 and included the main dam and the current main lock.


  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  
  2. ^ "Locks & Dam 14" (PDF).  

External links

  • Survey number HAER IA-25 - Mississippi River 9-Foot Channel, Lock & Dam No. 14, Upper Mississippi River, Le Claire vicinity, Scott County, IA
During the winter season the area around Lock and Dam No. 14 is home to many bald eagles.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.