World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

London Underground S Stock (ex-Metropolitan Railway)

Article Id: WHEBN0007287504
Reproduction Date:

Title: London Underground S Stock (ex-Metropolitan Railway)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: London Underground S7 and S8 Stock, Metropolitan Railway electric multiple units, Infrastructure of the Brill Tramway, London Underground A60 and A62 Stock, Brill Tramway
Collection: London Underground Electric Multiple Units
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

London Underground S Stock (ex-Metropolitan Railway)

S Stock (ex-Metropolitan Railway)
In service 1919-1950
Stock type Subsurface
Notes
London Transport portal

S stock is the designation given to one train of eight cars by London Underground in the 1930s. It was composed of converted trailers and experimental driving motor cars inherited from the Metropolitan Railway in 1933.

Trailer cars

In 1919, the Metropolitan Railway converted six 1904 saloon stock cars into the "Hustler train". These were the only cars of this type: two were driving motors, two were control trailers, which the Metropolitan called driving trailers, and the remaining two were trailers. In 1936, the two driving motors were converted into trailers, and all six cars were used with two 1925-built prototype driving motors.[1]

Driving motor cars

In 1925, two driving motor cars were built as prototypes for what would later become the T stock. In the London Passenger Transport Board numbering scheme, they became 2598 and 2599. After the trailer cars were withdrawn from service in the 1940s, the two driving motor cars remained in service on the East London Line, being used with a 1923-built control trailer. These three cars were withdrawn in 1950.

References

  1. ^ p. 96 of Steam to Silver, J Graeme Bruce, London Transport, London 1975 (Hardback ed). ISBN 0-85329-061-X)


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.