World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lourdes High School (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)

Article Id: WHEBN0011225307
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lourdes High School (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Oshkosh, Wisconsin, List of high schools in Wisconsin, Jim VandeHei, Green Bay Diocese Catholic Schools
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lourdes High School (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)

Lourdes High School
Looking north at the entrance
Address
110 North Sawyer Street
Oshkosh, WI
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, (Winnebago County), 54902-5657
 United States
Coordinates 44°1′7″N 88°33′59″W / 44.01861°N 88.56639°W / 44.01861; -88.56639Coordinates: 44°1′7″N 88°33′59″W / 44.01861°N 88.56639°W / 44.01861; -88.56639

Information
Religious affiliation(s) Roman Catholic
Patron saint(s) Our Lady of Lourdes
Established 1959
President Robert Biebel
Principal Mike Mauthe
Teaching staff 25
Grades 912
Enrollment 229
Education system Unified Catholic Schools of Oshkosh
Campus Suburban
Color(s) Red and White         
Slogan The Truth Shall Set You Free
Fight song "Hail Lourdes Knights"
Athletics conference Trailways
Mascot Knight
Team name Knights
Accreditation(s) North Central Association of Colleges and Schools [1]
Newspaper 'The Shield'
Yearbook 'The Crest'
School fees $4000
Athletic Director John Dinse
Website

Lourdes High School is a Roman Catholic high school in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, United States. Established in 1959, it is the oldest existing high school in Oshkosh.

History

The planning and construction, in the late 1950s, of a central Catholic high school represented the combined efforts of the six Catholic parishes of Oshkosh, Wisconsin: St. Mary, St. Peter, St. Vincent, Sacred Heart, St. Josaphat, and St. John.

Construction of Lourdes High School began in September 1958, with the first classes beginning in September 1959. The first year there were 307 freshmen and sophomores (155 girls and 151 boys) enrolled. Boys and girls attended separate classes with the upper floors for girls and lower floors for boys. Some facilities were used by both, including science and chemistry labs, the gymnasium, chapel, cafeteria, and library. The school was known as Lourdes Academy until 1996, and staffed with De La Salle Christian Brothers until 2001.

Addition

The Bill Behring Commons, completed in 2005, is a large open space facing Witzel Avenue. It serves as cafeteria, all-school worship site, and performing arts center. The commons has a large gathering hallway and space with adjoining rest rooms, trophy cases, concession facilities, the athletic directors' office, and staff lounge. The lobby connects gym facilities, band room and the student commons, and serves as a reception and gathering area. A new gymnasium and a new band classroom were also constructed.

Notes and references

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.