World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Matosavank

Matosavank
Մաթոսավանք
Matosavank interior
Matosavank is located in Armenia
Matosavank
Shown within Armenia
Basic information
Location Near Dilijan, Tavush Province,  Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Status Ruins
Architectural description
Architectural type Small cruciform central-plan
Architectural style Armenian
Completed 1247

Matosavank (Armenian: Մաթոսավանք) is small church hidden in a forested area of Dilijan National Park 3 km northwest from the town of Dilijan in the Tavush Province of Armenia. It sits in close proximity to the monastery of Jukhtak Vank as well as to a nearby cemetery. The church is currently in ruin and is relatively difficult to find since trail markers are often misleading.

Matosavank was constructed with the oversight of Möngke Khan, the fourth Great Khan of the Mongol Empire.

Contents

  • Architecture 1
  • Gallery 2
  • References 3
    • Bibliography 3.1
  • External links 4

Architecture

The small church of Surb Astvatsatsin of Pghndzahank was built in 1247 and actually consists of two adjoining churches. It was constructed from roughly hewn stones that have been overlaid with plaster within the interior of the building. Rooms include a main hall, book depositories, a portico and each have vaulted ceilings that still stand mostly intact. The western walls of the church sit adjacent to the portico, whereas the southern wall at the altar joins the book depository. Upon the exterior of the structure there is an inscription that tells about the foundation of the church. Some of the tile roofing can still be seen under

Gallery

References

Bibliography

  • Kiesling, Brady (2005), Rediscovering Armenia: Guide,  
  • Brady Kiesling, Rediscovering Armenia, p. 107; original archived at Archive.org, and current version online on Armeniapedia.org.

External links

  • Armeniapedia: Matosavank Monastery


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.