World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Molins de Rei

Article Id: WHEBN0006230693
Reproduction Date:

Title: Molins de Rei  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: El Papiol, Sant Vicenç dels Horts, Pallejà, Sant Feliu de Llobregat, Cornellà de Llobregat
Collection: Municipalities in Baix Llobregat
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Molins de Rei

Molins de Rei
Municipality
Castellciuró Castle.
Castellciuró Castle.
Flag of Molins de Rei
Flag
Coat of arms of Molins de Rei
Coat of arms
Molins de Rei is located in Catalonia
Molins de Rei
Molins de Rei
Location in Catalonia
Coordinates:
Country  Spain
Community  Catalonia
Province Barcelona
Comarca Baix Llobregat
Government
 • Mayor Xavier Paz Penche
Area
 • Total 15.85 km2 (6.12 sq mi)
Elevation 37 m (121 ft)
Population (2014)
 • Total 25,152
 • Density 1,600/km2 (4,100/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Molinenc
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Website Official website

Molins de Rei (Catalan pronunciation: ) is a municipality located 18 km from Barcelona's city centre, in the comarca of Baix Llobregat in Catalonia, Spain. It is situated on the left bank of the Llobregat river, on the A-7 autopista from Valencia to La Jonquera and the main N-II road.

Its location has made Molins de Rei a strategic and dynamic municipality, with significant examples of commercial and industrial entrepreneurship.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Transportation 3
  • Notable people 4
  • Twin towns 5
  • References 6

History

Its name, Molins de Rei (which means King's Mills), has its origins in the royal windmills that existed in this area, documented as early as 1188. These mills were built by order of the King Alfonso II, and their construction essentially established the municipality. By 1208, a parish and church as well as a cemetery had been built in the town.

In 1309, the town was part of the county of Pallars which belonged to the countess Sibil·la. When she died, the town changed owners to Hugo de Arborea and later on, it was transferred to the convent of Santa Clara in Sardinia (Italy). Again in 1366, the lands were purchased by Berenguer de Relat. In 1430, it was again transferred to Galceran de Requesens i de Santacoloma who built a palace in the village, visited by personalities of the time such as the Catholic Monarchs or Christopher Columbus.

In 1763 a bridge was built to cross the Llobregat river, by order of the King Charles III of Spain. This bridge turned the village into a strategic location during the Peninsular War, and the town was subjected to grave attacks and fires in several occasions. During these attacks, several significant buildings were destroyed, such as the Palace of Requesens.

Main sights

The Palace of Recasens, ruined by a looting during the 19th century, dates from the 15th century.

Outside the town are the ruins of the Castellciuró castle, built in 1066—perhaps over a previous Visigoth fortification— and destroyed in 985 by troops of al-Mansur Ibn Abi Aamir. Remains include a tower and parts of the walls.

The Romanesque chapel of Sant Pere de Romaní, known from 1011, has a rectangular shape, with a barrel vaulted ceiling, and a bell tower.

Transportation

The Molins de Rei train station is served by RENFE railway lines R1 and R4 which run frequently to and from central Barcelona, taking roughly 25 minutes to and from Plaça Catalunya.

Local buses also connect the town to central Barcelona and since it is in the Barcelona Metropolitan Area, a tourist will be able to find the distinctive yellow taxis in the square where the Avinguda de Barcelona and the Avinguda de València meet.

In addition, the town is served by the C-1413 road to Sabadell.

Notable people

Twin towns

References

  • Panareda Clopés, Josep Maria; Rios Calvet, Jaume; Rabella Vives, Josep Maria (1989). Guia de Catalunya, Barcelona:Caixa de Catalunya. ISBN 84-87135-01-3 (Spanish). ISBN 84-87135-02-1 (Catalan).
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.