World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Montescaglioso

Article Id: WHEBN0005041878
Reproduction Date:

Title: Montescaglioso  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Accettura, Francesco Carmelo Salerno, Robert, Count of Montescaglioso, Rudolf, Count of Montescaglioso, Tancred of Conversano
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Montescaglioso


Montescaglioso is a town and comune in the Province of Matera, Basilicata, southern Italy.

The economy is mostly based on agriculture, including production of renowned oil and wine, as well as traditional food.

Historically, it was the centre of a county in the Norman Kingdom of Sicily.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Territorial abbacy of San Michele Arcangelo di Montescaglioso 2
  • Other sights 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5

History

The first settlements in the area date from the 7th century BC, belonging to the Apuli Italic tribe. The original nucleus of Montescaglioso grew substantially in the following centuries, thanks to trade with the nearby Greek town of Metaponto. When the latter decayed in Roman times, Montescaglioso further increased in importance. Archaeological findings include a large tuff wall dating from the 3rd century BC.

After the decline of the Western Roman Empire, Montescaglioso is mentioned first only in early medieval times. A Byzantine stronghold, it was captured by the Normans after the year 1000, and housed an important Benedictine community. Under the Angevin and Aragonese dynasties of the Kingdom of Naples, it belonged in sequence to the D'Avalos, Orsini, Loffredo, Grillo and Cattaneo feudal families.

Territorial abbacy of San Michele Arcangelo di Montescaglioso

The Benedictine Territorial Abbey (i.e. exerting diocesan authority over itself and the surrounding territory, instead of resorting under a bishop) of San Michele Arcangelo, exists at least from 1078 and was probably built in the 5th century. The Norman lord Humphrey of Hauteville and his son Rudolph made large donations to the abbey, which flourished until the 15th century. Afterwards it decayed due to numerous wars ravaging the country in those years. The Abbey Church (12th century), dedicated to St. Michael, has a notable portal and a Norman-style bell tower with mullioned windows. Renewed starting from 1590, it received a cylindrical cupola in 1650.

It lost its autonomous prelature status on 1910.08.05, when it was united (as a mere title) with the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Acerenza–Matera, but since its split the abbacy is united with the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Matera.

Other sights

  • Mother Church (1776), rebuilt in late Baroque style over a pre-existing medieval structure. In the aisles are four canvasses by Mattia Preti. There is also a 15th-century panel of the Madonna with Child.
  • Church of St. Stephen (11th century)
  • Church of St. Lucy (11th century)
  • Church of Madonna della Muova (11th century) and Madonna delle Grazie (1065).
  • 16th centuries churches of St. Roch, St. Augustin, Santa Maria del Vetrano.

See also

External links

  • Official website
  • GigaCatholic, on the territorial abbey
  • Tourism and most important sights
  • APT Basilicata (hospitality, transports and events - english)
  • "Murgia Materana" Park
  • GAL Bradanica
  • CEA


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.