World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Monthureux-sur-Saône

Article Id: WHEBN0015922896
Reproduction Date:

Title: Monthureux-sur-Saône  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Martinvelle, Communes of the Vosges department, Arches, Vosges, Archettes, Arrentès-de-Corcieux
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Monthureux-sur-Saône

Monthureux-sur-Saône
Monthureux-sur-Saône is located in France
Monthureux-sur-Saône
Monthureux-sur-Saône
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Lorraine
Department Vosges
Arrondissement Épinal
Canton Monthureux-sur-Saône
Intercommunality Association of Saône Vosgienne country communes
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Raynald Magnien
Area1 19.02 km2 (7.34 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 960
 • Density 50/km2 (130/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 88310 / 88410
Elevation 238–339 m (781–1,112 ft)
(avg. 253 m or 830 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Monthureux-sur-Saône is a commune in the Vosges department in Lorraine in northeastern France.

Inhabitants are called Monthurolais.

History

Origins and Etymology

The name Monthureux comes from the base Latin word "monasteriolum" meaning 'little monastery'. By the fourteenth century the name had mutated to Monstreuil.

The origins of the little town are uncertain. During the turbulent aftermath of the Gallo-Roman period, the site currently occupied by Monthureux-sur-Saône was probably abandoned to the forest. The name "Monasteriolum" (little monastery) only dates from the end of the ninth century. Subsequent spelling included "Monstreuil", "Montreuil", "Montreux" and "Montureux". The "h" in the spelling of the modern name is believed to result from a clerical error by a transcriber in 1628 who wrote "Montheureux".

The beginnings of Monthureux are frequently thought to involve the Gallo-Roman cemetery and the feudal castle, but the site was actually settled long before the arrival of the Romans. The town was settled in the time of the Lingons who had their capital at Langres, and who controlled the territory in this area all the way to the Upper Saône valley (modern Haute-Saône) and the vast Forest of Darney.

Romans and their successors

Once the Romans arrived, they organsised the construction of various military roads, one of which passes Monthureux on the way from Langres to Baccarat.

After the Romans came the Franks and the Burgundians and presumably these tribes populated the region. However, it is probably that during the time Monthureux itself was not populated.

Medieval

The monastery for which the town is named may have dated back to the Carolingian period. The current church positioned on the site of the old monastery was completely rebuilt in the sixteenth century, but some traces of the eleventh-century arches survive on the exterior of the building on its north side. Of the priory itself, just two massive pillars survive, at the foot of an old stone staircase leading to the old cemetery.

Personalities

  1. Charles Levy (1805-1872), born at Monthureux-sur-Saône, registered a patent for a nail manufacturing machine that improved the production process. A street at Bains-les-Bains is named after him.
  2. Charles Godard(1827-1899), born at Monthureux-sur-Saône, was an architect who worked for the diocese of Langres and a prodigious builder of churches in the area.

See also

References

  • INSEE
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.