World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

New Castle Hundred

Article Id: WHEBN0002825639
Reproduction Date:

Title: New Castle Hundred  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Colonial School District (Delaware), Delaware Valley, Ashland, Delaware, Minquadale, Delaware, Biddles Corner, Delaware
Collection: Hundreds in New Castle County, Delaware
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

New Castle Hundred

New Castle Hundred is an unincorporated subdivision of New Castle County, Delaware. Hundreds were once used as a basis for representation in the Delaware General Assembly, and while their names still appear on all real estate transactions, they presently have no meaningful use or purpose except as a geographical point of reference.

Contents

  • Boundaries and Formation 1
  • Development 2
  • Geography 3
  • Transportation 4

Boundaries and Formation

New Castle Hundred is that portion of New Castle County that lies south of the Christiana River, north of Red Lion Creek, and generally east of Salem Church Road, excepting that portion in the north included in Wilmington Hundred. It was one of the original hundreds in Delaware created in 1682 and was named for the town of New Castle then the only town of consequence anywhere on the Delaware River. When created it included some of the area now in Pencader Hundred and White Clay Hundred, both of which were split off in 1710, and some of the area in Wilmington Hundred, which was split off 1833. The city of New Castle, the Bear and Wilmington Manor Census Designated Places (CDP) and the community of Red Lion are in New Castle Hundred.

Development

New Castle Hundred is a highly developed suburban and commercial area with considerable industrial development along the Delaware River and near Wilmington.

Geography

Important geographical features, in addition to the Christiana River and Red Lion Creek, include the Delaware River, which forms its eastern boundary. It is in the coastal plain region with a low ridge separating the Delaware and Christiana Rivers.

Transportation

Important roads include portions of Interstate 95, Interstate 295, Interstate 495, the Korean War Veterans Memorial Highway (Delaware Route 1), the DuPont Highway (U.S. Route 13), the Pulaski Highway (U.S. Route 40), Basin Road (Delaware Route 141), New Castle Avenue and River Road (Delaware Route 9), Christiana Road (Delaware Route 273). A portion of the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad, ran westward from New Castle through the center of the hundred, and the old New Castle Railroad connected New Castle with the mainline of the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad, which became the Pennsylvania Railroad.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.