World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Norðdepil

Article Id: WHEBN0004337966
Reproduction Date:

Title: Norðdepil  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Selvík, List of postal codes in the Faroe Islands, 1866 establishments in the Danish Empire, Whaling in the Faroe Islands, Múli
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Norðdepil

Norðdepil
Village
Norðdepil on a cloudy October day
Norðdepil on a cloudy October day
Norðdepil is located in Denmark Faroe Islands
Norðdepil
Norðdepil
Location in the Faroe Islands
Coordinates:
State  Kingdom of Denmark
Constituent country  Faroe Islands
Island Borðoy
Municipality Hvannasund
Founded 1866
Population (1 January 2009)
 • Total 171
Time zone GMT
 • Summer (DST) EST (UTC+1)
Postal code FO 730

Norðdepil (pronounced ; older Danish spelling: Norddeble) is a town on the east coast of the island of Borðoy in the Norðoyar Region of the Faroe Islands.

History

Norðdepil was founded in 1866. Its school opened in 1895. From 1897 to 1912 a whaling station was located in the community, built by Norwegians. The first owners were Andorsen & Neumann.[1]

Norðdepil has been connected with the town of Hvannasund on Viðoy by a road on a dam since 1963. Because the two communities are located directly across from each other on opposite shores, they often act as one community.
Since 1967, two single-lane tunnels have connected Norðdepil with the regional city of Klaksvík.

Immediately bordering Norðdepil to its north is the abandoned settlement Fossá, of which nothing remains. Fossá was named after some waterfalls.
Further north on the east coast of Borðoy there is a road going from Norðdepil to the hamlet Múli.

Harbour front in Norðdepil 
Norðdepil on Borðoy (left) and Hvannasund on Viðoy (right) 
Entrance to the Hvannasundstunnilin 

See also

References

  1. ^ Savn.fo, Hvalastøðir í Føroyum 1894-1984


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.