World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Normal Station, Memphis

Normal Station Historic District
Normal Station, Memphis is located in Tennessee
Normal Station, Memphis
Location Roughly bounded by Highland, Goodlett, Southern RR, and rear property lines of Marion and parcels on Park, Memphis, Tennessee
Coordinates
Area 390 acres (160 ha)
Architect Goodwin, John; Johnson, Wallace, et al.
Architectural style Colonial Revival, Bungalow/Craftsman, et al.
Governing body Private
MPS Memphis MPSMemphis MPSMemphis MPS
NRHP Reference # 05000866 [1]
Added to NRHP August 10, 2005

Normal Station is a neighborhood in East Memphis, Tennessee, anchored by the University of Memphis, formerly Memphis State University, and originally called West Tennessee State Normal School. It is bordered by the University of Memphis to the north, Audubon Park to the east, Park Avenue and the Sherwood Forest neighborhood to the south, and Highland Street to the west.

History

Until the early 20th century, the neighborhood was part of an area known as the Eckles Tract. In 1911, construction of the new normal school began in the neighborhood. To serve the construction, the Southern Railroad built a stub track northward from its main line. A streetcar line was extended eastward to serve the site. When the school opened in 1912, the railroad converted the terminus of its stub line into an official stop and built a waiting station in front of the school, near what is now the intersection of Highland Street and Southern Avenue, to serve passengers using the railroad and the streetcars. The neighborhood took on the name of the railway station, Normal Station.[2]

It was common in the outlying areas around Memphis for neighborhoods and small towns to get their names from land owners, landmarks and railway stations. The custom is also seen today in areas such as Buntyn Station, White Station, and Bray Station.

The Normal railway station closed in 1949 and was demolished the following year.[2]

Campus neighborhood

The athletic department, student fitness center, and south parking lots of the University of Memphis are located in this neighborhood. Because of the proximity to the University, a large proportion of the neighborhood population are students and faculty. Most of the homes in this neighborhood are one-story single-family homes and duplexes built after World War II, but there are small apartment complexes and some larger, older homes interspersed within. The neighborhood is located in ZIP code 38111.

References

  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  
  2. ^ a b "Cultural Resource Survey of Normal Station, Census Tract 74, Memphis, Tennessee". Memphis Heritage. December 2001. 


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.