World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Oratorio dei Vanchetoni

 

Oratorio dei Vanchetoni

The Oratory of the Vanchetoni

The Oratorio dei Vanchetoni or Oratory of the Vanchetoni is a Roman Catholic prayer hall for the Arch-confraternity of San Francesco, in Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy.

History

The society was founded by Ippolito Galantini (1565-1619), and had the purpose of educating poor children on the Christian doctrine. The members of the Company were called vanchetoni, for their habit of walking quietly, and bacchetoni, in reference to the used baton for penitential self-scourging.

The confraternity building was designed by Matteo and Giovanni Nigetti in 1602-1604, and built in land once the orchard of the Church of Ognissanti. The long hall where the confratelli gathered, was frescoed between 1633-1649 by quadri riportati of saints by Giovanni Martinelli, Domenico Pugliani, Baldassare Franceschini il Volterrano, Cecco Bravo and Lorenzo Lippi. Galantini was posthumously made venerable in 1765, and beatified in 1825.

Today, the oratory is used for chamber concerts and small meetings.

External links

  • Photos of Oratorio
  • Biography of Ippolito Galantini.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.