World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Oratory of St Thomas Aquinas (Florence)

Article Id: WHEBN0036149146
Reproduction Date:

Title: Oratory of St Thomas Aquinas (Florence)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Via Camillo Cavour, Torre degli Alberti, Oratory of Gesù Pellegrino, Torre degli Amidei, Giardino dell'Iris
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Oratory of St Thomas Aquinas (Florence)

Oratory of St Thomas Aquinas
Basic information
Location Florence, Italy
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Florence
Architectural description
Architect(s) Santi di Tito
Architectural type Church
Architectural style Renaissance
Completed 1568
Interior with new altarpiece

The Oratory of St. Thomas Aquinas is a late-Renaissance-style, Roman Catholic prayer hall located on Via della Pergola in Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy.

History

The simple facade stands across the street from the Hospital of Santa Maria Nuova; it was initially the site of the Congregation of the Noble Contemplatives (Congregazione dei Contemplanti dei Nobili), founded by a Dominican monk, named fra Santi di Cini, from the Convent of San Marco. In 1568, the painter Santi di Tito, designed the oratory for the confraternity, and it was dedicated it to St Thomas Aquinas. Santi also painted the altarpiece of the Crucifixion and St Thomas Aquinas (in restoration). The vestibule has quadratura painted in 1782 by the painters Grix and Stagi. The altar has walls decorated in elaborate and fine scagiole by Carlo Ghibertoni. The ceiling was decorated in 1710 with quadratura by Rinaldo Botti, and depicts the Glory of St Thomas painted by Camillo Sagrestani and Ranieri del Pace. In the seventeenth century, the oratory became a hospice for pilgrims, and in 1775, rites were suppressed. The oratory has recently been reconsecrated and holds services.

Sources

  • Quadraturismo website
  • Partially translated from Italian WorldHeritage entry
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.