World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Oxhey

Article Id: WHEBN0008917600
Reproduction Date:

Title: Oxhey  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Oxhey Chapel, Watford, Bushey, A4008 road, List of works by Karl Parsons
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Oxhey

Oxhey is a suburb of the borough of Watford in the county of Hertfordshire, England. It is located at grid reference TQ125955 and forms part of the Watford post town.

Oxhey grew during the mid-19th century with the coming of the London and Birmingham Railway from London Euston to Boxmoor in 1837, the settlement being developed to house railway workers. The line was completed to Birmingham in 1838.

Oxhey's parish church is St Matthew's, a Grade II listed building dating from 1880 in Gothic Revival style with some elements of early Art Nouveau decoration. The church also features a Karl Parsons window in the Lady Chapel.[1]

Oxhey Grange, Oxhey Lane, built (1876), architect William Young (1843-1900). High Victorian Gothic style. Grade II listed.

The wider locations which comprise the modern Oxhey area are Oxhey Village ( the area around Bushey station and between Pinner Road and London Road), Oxhey Hall (the area along Hampermill Lane towards Moor Park) and South Oxhey although this is really a suburb in itself which is adjacent to Oxhey.


Sport & Leisure

Oxhey has a Non-League football team Oxhey Jets F.C. who play at the Boundary Stadium.

Oxhey Park Golf Club is a public pay & play course that used to be an 18 hole course built on land owned by the Blackwell family in 1910, who then sold the estate to London County Council in 1946 who made it a municipal course in 1947 with a par of 78, but it was closed in 1954. Now just a 9 hole course it has got some nice features on its layout.

References

  1. ^ Church of St Matthew, Eastbury Road, Watford, Images of England, English Heritage National Monuments Record.


External Links

Oxhey Village Environment Group http://www.oveg.org



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.