World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Panagiouda

Article Id: WHEBN0015545090
Reproduction Date:

Title: Panagiouda  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of settlements in Lesbos
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Panagiouda

Panagiouda (Greek: Παναγιούδα/Panayouða) is a village on the east coast of Lesbos; 6km (3.7 miles) north of Mytilene. As of 2001, Panagiouda had 705 inhabitants which were primarily fishermen.

History

The settlement was founded after an earthquake in 1867 forced many people from Afalonas to abandon their town and start anew. The first forty houses were constructed in 1874.

Kalamiaris, at the north of Panagiouda, is the birthplace of Odysseas Elytis. There is also the magnificent Panayoudha palm forest, which consists of Phoenix canariensis palms, and three flour tower houses of the early 20th century.

After the destruction of Minor Asia in 1924, 100 people immigrated to Panagiouda.

Etymology

The name of the village comes from the Holy Virgin (Panayia) church there. It means "Small Holy Virgin". The church had been constructed by the great local architect Arghiris Adhalis in 1896 and is dedicated to the Holy Virgin's birthday.

Travel

Mytilene National Airport is 12km (7.5 miles) from Panagiouda.

Coordinates: 39°08′49″N 26°31′44″E / 39.147°N 26.529°E / 39.147; 26.529

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.