World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Peresznye

Article Id: WHEBN0011567619
Reproduction Date:

Title: Peresznye  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Count Leopold Berchtold, Vas County, List of populated places in Hungary, List of cities, towns, and villages in Hungary (N-Z)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Peresznye

Peresznye
Peresznye
Peresznye
Location of Peresznye

Coordinates: 47°25′26″N 16°39′03″E / 47.42378°N 16.65092°E / 47.42378; 16.65092Coordinates: 47°25′26″N 16°39′03″E / 47.42378°N 16.65092°E / 47.42378; 16.65092

Country  Hungary
County Vas
Area
 • Total 10.73 km2 (4.14 sq mi)
Population (2004)
 • Total 699
 • Density 65.14/km2 (168.7/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 9734
Area code(s) 94

Peresznye (Croatian: Prisika, German: Prössing) is a village in Vas (Eisenburg) county, Hungary, close to the border towards Austria which was drawn in 1921 according to the Treaty of Trianon. It is situated between Lutzmannsburg, Burgenland, Austria, and Csepreg, Hungary, appr. 10 km eastwards of the border town Köszeg (Güns), and inhabited mainly by Burgenland Croats.

Here the priest and writer József Ficzkó, publishing in the version of the Croatian language today called Burgenland Croatian, lived and worked in the 19th century. Ficzkó was praised for having contributed extraordinarily to the development of self-esteem and identity of the Burgenland Croats by using their language (which was not his mothertongue, as he was of Slovene origin) in writing.

The palace of Peresznye after World War I was the last residence of the former Austro-Hungarian foreign minister and supreme court master (Obersthofmeister) of the emperor, Count Leopold Berchtold, who owned the place and died here in 1942.


References

External links

  • Street map (Hungarian)
  • Map of the k.u.k. Militärgeographisches Institut (Imperial and Royal Military Geography Institute), Vienna, around 1880, showing Prössing (Peresznye)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.